Led Zeppelin 50th Anniversary

sam_webmaster

New live album? Couldn’t give a toss. I’m 44 and I discovered Led Zeppelin bootlegs three years ago. I love em and I’m having a whale of a time listening to them all. I feel lucky to have discovered them and grateful that they are out there. Far better than any official release 

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Ha ha, aye - looks like you are.

Have a great weekend anyway.

Thanks same to you . World peace breaks out, all conflict ceases,  this punter wanders off humming

" if your going to san fran..."  Till next time.. 😉

39 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Some members do think the world revolves around a rock band that disbanded nearly 40 years ago. Now THAT's beyond sad. 😜

Some people (not you) think that the world now revolves around a band (Greta Van Fleet) that reminds them of the band that disbanded 40 years ago. That's ... sort of pathetic to me. But, that's just me...from my world view.

As we age, we look back on the "days of our youth"... for me that would be childhood with The Beatles, and, as a teen to early 20's -- Led Zeppelin. That will always be, and you can't take it away from me. I'm passionate about the music of my childhood and youth. It's only natural. And I do take the smug position that the music of my childhood and youth, is better than the music that was "current" in your childhood and youth (not you... specifically... just everyone in genera,l that grew up in a different time...)

1 hour ago, The Rover said:

Some people (not you) think that the world now revolves around a band (Greta Van Fleet) that reminds them of the band that disbanded 40 years ago. That's ... sort of pathetic to me. But, that's just me...from my world view.

As we age, we look back on the "days of our youth"... for me that would be childhood with The Beatles, and, as a teen to early 20's -- Led Zeppelin. That will always be, and you can't take it away from me. I'm passionate about the music of my childhood and youth. It's only natural. And I do take the smug position that the music of my childhood and youth, is better than the music that was "current" in your childhood and youth (not you... specifically... just everyone in genera,l that grew up in a different time...)

All I can say is keep looking. There's amazing music currently being made if you are open to change. The talent is out there but the radio doesn't support it so you have to search.

An example for me is Chance The Rapper's 'Same Drugs'. Just amazing and his lyrics are off the charts. Using imagery from Peter Pan and drugs to explain the dissolving of a relationship, the Beatles would be proud.

On 10/12/2018 at 10:36 AM, tyler19 said:

All I can say is keep looking. There's amazing music currently being made if you are open to change. The talent is out there but the radio doesn't support it so you have to search.

An example for me is Chance The Rapper's 'Same Drugs'. Just amazing and his lyrics are off the charts. Using imagery from Peter Pan and drugs to explain the dissolving of a relationship, the Beatles would be proud.

Not likely....

Reason # 1 --- I still have much to mine and unearth from the music period of my youth, which I naturally favor.

Reason # 2 --- Not that much motivated to "look around". That was never my style. And it didn't have to be, back in the day. There was just an embarrassing amount of good "low hanging fruit", that I never developed the skills to wade through mountains of shit to find a diamond. After all, my "era" IS the Motherload... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Edited by The Rover

On 10/12/2018 at 10:20 PM, The Rover said:

Can’t argue with that. I was born late in 74. The 80’s were shocking for hard rockers. Then....Looking back I can see how and why I got into Guns n Roses so much 

8 hours ago, The Rover said:

Not likely....

Reason # 1 --- I still have much to mine and unearth from the music period of my youth, which I naturally favor.

Reason # 2 --- Not that much motivated to "look around". That was never my style. And it didn't have to be, back in the day. There was just an embarrassing amount of good "low hanging fruit", that I never developed the skills to wade through mountains of shit to find a diamond. After all, my "era" IS the Motherload... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm just now discovering the untold riches of the '70's. There is indeed an embarrassment of plentiful low hanging fruit.

By far the best musical era. Greatest decade for rock and music generally ever.

2 hours ago, No Quota said:

I wonder if there is enough film and enough angles to maybe try a hologram concert of 2007?

On that night they used 1080i HD cameras and shot with Super 8 mm film that night. One could "easily" use the 1080i HD camera footage for holographic purposes, but there's no point. Besides, I've yet to see a holographic music production that didn't look hokey as hell. Tupac, Elvis, Michael Jackson, Dio -- all unconvincing.   

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

On that night they used 1080i HD cameras and shot with Super 8 mm film that night. One could "easily" use the 1080i HD camera footage for holographic purposes, but there's no point. Besides, I've yet to see a holographic music production that didn't look hokey as hell. Tupac, Elvis, Michael Jackson, Dio -- all unconvincing.   

Agreed. Now, there’s word of a Bowie and a Zappa holographic concert with surviving members playing /possibly touring. 

R😎

These holographic concerts are the kind of thing that would've been written about in dystopian sci fi 30 years ago. You might say it's no different to seeing a tribute band, but imo there's something morbid about it. Intellectually bankrupt music industry.

1 hour ago, 76229 said:

These holographic concerts are the kind of thing that would've been written about in dystopian sci fi 30 years ago. You might say it's no different to seeing a tribute band, but imo there's something morbid about it. Intellectually bankrupt music industry.

The only practical purpose I could see these holographic concerts being used  would be for a rock hall of Records (for historic or research purposes). 

The three surviving members of Led Zeppelin with Jason Bonham (in his dads place) performed the tribute concert eleven years ago. That day has passed, but we have the cd, dvd & blu ray as a souvenir. No need for a holographic disc or a digital file version. 

R😎

Edited by reids

greetings led zeppelin fans, 

i havent been on this forum in years.the 50th anniversary remasters sound great. especially hearing rock n roll again i think its one of the best i have ever heard. im hoping that the release wouldnt only get people interested in the band but provide a launching point for jimmy page releasing solo stuff or just the whole band getting ready for a great new reunion. im pretty sure they have ideas for new songs since the 02 era. I really think there will be something musically happen for us that have been waiting for so long of a time . maybe in the next 7 years ?

thanks, Ryan Almond

40 minutes ago, Ryan said:

greetings led zeppelin fans, 

i havent been on this forum in years.the 50th anniversary remasters sound great. especially hearing rock n roll again i think its one of the best i have ever heard. im hoping that the release wouldnt only get people interested in the band but provide a launching point for jimmy page releasing solo stuff or just the whole band getting ready for a great new reunion. im pretty sure they have ideas for new songs since the 02 era. I really think there will be something musically happen for us that have been waiting for so long of a time . maybe in the next 7 years ?

thanks, Ryan Almond

Think, its high time to release really something special, at least step by step in High Resolution audio (DSD audio) all studio works, limited edition master tapes, some concerts from soundboards on master tapes and high res DSD audio...

Hope our generation, fans, who never were at live concerts or had no opportunity to be on them have the right, hope, to hear the musical material released, remastered hands of musicians in highest quality. My preferences are DSD audio and master tapes...)))

I can only imagine how on master tape HOTH sounds.

9 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Two of the three surviving members couldn't care less about the 50th anniversary. Adjust expectations accordingly. 😉

I am so happy to see someone use couldn't care less properly.

And that little pearl may actually work in favour of releases. Less dissent as no fucks given.

Edited by rm2551

On 10/22/2018 at 11:19 AM, rm2551 said:

I am so happy to see someone use couldn't care less properly.

And that little pearl may actually work in favour of releases. Less dissent as no fucks given.

Did anyone else catch Plant's "the only reunion will be in a chip shop" comment

followed by "we get on allright but you know...."

So i really don't think he is at all bothered or interested in the 50th 

and judging by the silence neither is JPJ.

3 hours ago, andrew r said:

Did anyone else catch Plant's "the only reunion will be in a chip shop" comment

followed by "we get on allright but you know...."

Good. Too old to rock and roll. Plant has been dropping hints at distancing himself from the band for decades, but it's like nobody actually wants to accept it. 

I suppose some people have the misconception that just because these guys were in a band together once that they're supposed to be riding tandem bicycles together everywhere they go. The same happened with Waters and Gilmour. Just because they don't wanna create music together doesn't mean they have any sort of grudge.