Led Zeppelin 50th Anniversary

sam_webmaster

On 10/27/2018 at 9:30 PM, SteveAJones said:

It's not a very good article, on that we agree. It's obviously written by a millennial snowflake whose knowledge of Led Zeppelin is limited to what he had cut and pasted after thirty minutes of online searching. 

😂

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, chef free said:

It would be truly pathetic to promise a "solo project" again. I believe he is alluding to something else. Instruments. 

Edited by SteveAJones

Here’s what Jimmy said about potential releases in the future:

“We have discussed it. And as far as what’s coming out, well I know that that’s coming out – I know the book’s out, actually. That’s the one thing that’s coming out that I know, that I can confirm.”

“That’s it?!” the host replied to Page’s comment.

“Well, for the minute. As of today. As of today, yes. I think so. I mean, as far as I know, that’s what’s there today.”

“I’ve always got things in mind and I always think of things as a sort of schedule of releases over a period of time. I’ve never been, actually, any different. And, obviously, I would have ideas of things or projects which could go ahead, but, you know, it all takes time.”

“So, at the moment, we’ve got this out, so that’s really brilliant. And who knows what may come further on down the line? I’ll leave it … I don’t know. So I can’t really say at this point.”

So in a nutshell —nothing to see here, the cupboard is empty and the cellar has run dry. Happy 50th Anniversary folks —its over !!

I seem to remember Jimmy saying something a while back about how there would be all kind of surprises in store for the 50th anniversary. Well here it is approaching the end of the year, and the big surprise is that we're getting diddly squat. Aside from a picture book. Surprise!!!

Edited by Balthazor

3 hours ago, Balthazor said:

I seem to remember Jimmy saying something a while back about how there would be all kind of surprises in store for the 50th anniversary. Well here it is approaching the end of the year, and the big surprise is that we're getting diddly squat. Aside from a picture book. Surprise!!!

Very disappointed. So....just the Japan boots to look forward to....whenever they come out! 

I'm as pessimistic as they come but Jimmy is at work on something, possibly a live compilation or show. I can feel it my bones, as Paulie says in The Pope Of Greenwich Village.  There is also the prospect of the Led Zeppelin Experience, streaming thing. The content remains to be seen. Hey, that's a good name for a new Zep release! 😁

Don't know why some of you guys are all doom and gloom. Here is what Jimmy said earlier this year --

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8099675/led-zeppelin-new-project-no-tour-jimmy-page-interview

"I can't give the game away, but there's a recording that’s another multi-track that we'll release,” he revealed. “It's so different to all the other things that are out there. It's another view compared to How The West Was Won or The Song Remains The Same. I'm looking forward to people hearing that. There's a lot of stuff to come out, a number of releases. I'd like to say that they'll be coming out over the next 10 years. There's more to come for sure.”

In addition to the music releases, there will be a new Led Zeppelin book due out this fall. He says: “I’m really pleased that we're all doing it collectively because there are so many other people doing books. There's about ten that I know of that are coming, which is pretty ridiculous! It will be really good to have an authoritative book, where the band are actually contributing to it rather than being ripped off.”

So the book is done and I think it's amazing. Now on to the next releases!!!

Edited by zeplz71

2 hours ago, zeplz71 said:

Don't know why some of you guys are all doom and gloom. Here is what Jimmy said earlier this year

That's not really the point. One would think that the 50th anniversary would be a bigger deal than just a book and a few new t-shirt designs. If he's got all these super secret projects planned, maybe he could have planned on having one or two of them ready for the 50th.

I know he owes us nothing, and if we never got another release of anything, so be it. It's more about his apparent lack of interest in the whole thing. A lot of bands do big things for a major anniversary. We get a book. Rather underwhelming, to say the least. It's hard not to wonder whether Jimmy gives a rip about his fans.

Its frustrating for us fans, yeah, but there will be more. Jimmy Page works to Jimmy Page time. This is far different to normal mortal time.

I really hope there is some announcement or something soon though. Stuff going another 6-12 months without a clue.

21 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

It's not a big deal, just a marketing opportunity to sell merchandise and perhaps feel nostalgic. They disbanded 38 years ago!

And the Beatles disbanded 48 years ago, so what? I don't honestly remember, but I'd wager that their 50th was treated as a big deal. If Jimmy believes his band was among the greatest bands of all time, then it should have had a 50th anniversary fit for a greatest band of all time. A book and a new t-shirt design seems more like an anniversary fit for Jethro Tull.

2 hours ago, Balthazor said:

And the Beatles disbanded 48 years ago, so what? I don't honestly remember, but I'd wager that their 50th was treated as a big deal. If Jimmy believes his band was among the greatest bands of all time, then it should have had a 50th anniversary fit for a greatest band of all time. A book and a new t-shirt design seems more like an anniversary fit for Jethro Tull.

The Beatles were extensively documented, remain very well-managed and the surviving members have no qualms about getting together to promote The Beatles. The Stones celebrated with an extensive product line and touring which continues to this day. Conversely, one could almost count on one hand the number of commercial grade live recordings Led Zeppelin commissioned, the surviving members don't have a cohesive management team and two of three seem totally disinterested if not reluctant to celebrate the occasion. So anything beyond a photo book and t-shirts becomes problematic.