Led Zeppelin 50th Anniversary

sam_webmaster

14 hours ago, Balthazor said:

And the Beatles disbanded 48 years ago, so what? I don't honestly remember, but I'd wager that their 50th was treated as a big deal. If Jimmy believes his band was among the greatest bands of all time, then it should have had a 50th anniversary fit for a greatest band of all time. A book and a new t-shirt design seems more like an anniversary fit for Jethro Tull.

Where can I get this book and T-Shirt?

On 12/15/2018 at 5:17 AM, SteveAJones said:

The Beatles were extensively documented, remain very well-managed and the surviving members have no qualms about getting together to promote The Beatles. The Stones celebrated with an extensive product line and touring which continues to this day. Conversely, one could almost count on one hand the number of commercial grade live recordings Led Zeppelin commissioned, the surviving members don't have a cohesive management team and two of three seem totally disinterested if not reluctant to celebrate the occasion. So anything beyond a photo book and t-shirts becomes problematic.   

Exactly 

R😊

Steve seems to have nailed the reasons why it hasn't gone the way people hoped it would. Sounds plausible to me.
Anniversaries don't mean anything to me, so I've not been disappointed, but I can see why others might be.

Edited by Brigante

On 12/15/2018 at 4:17 AM, SteveAJones said:

The Beatles were extensively documented, remain very well-managed and the surviving members have no qualms about getting together to promote The Beatles. The Stones celebrated with an extensive product line and touring which continues to this day. Conversely, one could almost count on one hand the number of commercial grade live recordings Led Zeppelin commissioned, the surviving members don't have a cohesive management team and two of three seem totally disinterested if not reluctant to celebrate the occasion. So anything beyond a photo book and t-shirts becomes problematic.   

I couldn't agree more. It's just sad really, that lack of interest. If these guys want Zeppelin to be considered in the same league as the Beatles or the Stones they should really show more interest in these sorts of things, and do something to keep their band in the public eye as much as possible. I mean, after one silly Hollywood biopic Queen seems to be regarded as the greatest thing since sliced bread. It just seems like if Jimmy wants Zeppelin's legacy to be what it should, doing nothing is not going to help matters much.

3 hours ago, Balthazor said:

I couldn't agree more. It's just sad really, that lack of interest. If these guys want Zeppelin to be considered in the same league as the Beatles or the Stones they should really show more interest in these sorts of things, and do something to keep their band in the public eye as much as possible. I mean, after one silly Hollywood biopic Queen seems to be regarded as the greatest thing since sliced bread. It just seems like if Jimmy wants Zeppelin's legacy to be what it should, doing nothing is not going to help matters much.

I disagree. Something he has said since the very beginning. He lets his music do the talking.

He has always shied away from being commercial. (that is not to say he does not makes occasional exceptions). I much prefer it this way.

In the big scheme of things does it really matter, I don't think it does, I'm too old to care anyway. I don't expect there is going to anything that'll wow me,  it'll just be an "is that it" just like the companion discs. The only thing that will remotely excite me is the core albums remixed into 5.1, even ITTOD.

16 hours ago, Balthazor said:

Led Zeppelin are considered in the same league as The Beatles & The Stones by anyone with a clue.

2 hours ago, BledZabbath said:

How about Black Sabbath?

I think the fact they play what is considered to be 'heavy metal' puts them out of that 'universal appeal' group of bands like The Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin & Pink Floyd.

I do love Sabbath though personally.

3 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

No offense, but as much as I love Sabbath, they are on the second tier...along with one of my faves Deep Purple. 

No offense taken Struder1978, just wanting to know peoples opinions, thank you for answering 

2 hours ago, Mook said:

I think the fact they play what is considered to be 'heavy metal' puts them out of that 'universal appeal' group of bands like The Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin & Pink Floyd.

I do love Sabbath though personally.

That’s possibly true Mook, thanks for answering.