New EVSD soundboard?

ZepHead315

5 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

So we're assuming the soundboards didn't get stolen and are still in Page's possession? That shoots down the possibility of them seeing the light of day even more. 

All we're surmising from this is that the 72 boards weren't stolen from Page's home with the '73 and '80 boards. This doesn't mean that we can't acquire them from other sources. For all we know, the showco employee that's been selling the revolution boards has these and EVSD simply isn't interested in them. Besides, we already have 4-5 boards from '71 (with another supposedly on the way), so it'd be foolish to assume that the '72 boards don't exist or that they'll never see the light of day. Is that possible? Of course, but at this point, it's all up to each individual's personal stance on the situation to think these boards will or won't show up. If they're only in Page's possession and no other sources have them available, I would reason that upon his death, we'll surely see something. It's honestly a 50-50 shot at this point imo.

58 minutes ago, 1998giventofly said:

I tend to agree, I've seen your arguments for it and I do think there's at least a FEW tapes out there. If the '71 boards exist I'm sure there's recordings from the '72 US Tour; even in the moment I feel like it'd be pretty hard for the band to ignore that they were on a ridiculous stretch of shows that NEEDED to be documented somehow. My hope is that there's at least something from the stretch run that began in Nassau on the 14th through the end of the month; the couple weeks beginning with the Nassau show have some of the finest performances of their entire career (the 14th itself, the 19th in Seattle, and the 25th to name the most obvious ones). All we can do is keep hoping!

There's next to no doubt in my mind that at least a few shows exist. When it comes to them seeing the light of day or not, you're right, all we can do is keep hoping.

5 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

So we're assuming the soundboards didn't get stolen and are still in Page's possession? That shoots down the possibility of them seeing the light of day even more. 

Not if they were meant for an aborted official release to coincide with the 50th anniversary.  

34 minutes ago, Xolo1974 said:

Absolutely stoked with this news. Does anyone know if it’s the full board? Unlikely I would say!

Probably not, but anything from this show would be a gem. 9/29 at least had the advantage of the old stage source sounding really good. This show on the other hand could definitely use an upgrade, so anything will be welcome. Especially since it's from Japan 71. Excellent news. Really looking forward to this! :) 

Here's the Google translation:

LED ZEPPELIN LED ZEPPELIN LED ZEPPELIN LED ZEPPELIN LED ZEPPELIN 928 day 8700PM) <Admission Special 2.29 06 s Seat 6 LED ZEPPELIN LED ZEPPELIN LED ZEPPELIN LED ZEPPELIN LED ZEPPELIN LED ZEPPELIN 928 SBD !!!!! I'm a Super Sad, a Planetary Golden Special, Serve Gorgeous Aftercare Kid 28! In the meantime, the first Japanese release in 0! 79th 1st 9th 28th Ultra Spur Sound Board !! SUPREMĐISCPRODUCED BY THE WTH TWINS EVS D-DH GHT AL A UDI0 ALL ROH RESRED UNALTHOR DLPLCATEN SAV Paco LATION LED ZEPPELIN LED ZEPPELIN LED

3 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Not if they were meant for an aborted official release to coincide with the 50th anniversary.  

My guess is the partial Osaka board from last year and this one (Black Dog was leaked, what, three years ago?) are coming from inside the Zep camp.

19 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

My guess is the partial Osaka board from last year and this one (Black Dog was leaked, what, three years ago?) are coming from inside the Zep camp.

Jimmy did say live material would be coming out for the 50th! 

18 minutes ago, Xolo1974 said:

Jimmy did say live material would be coming out for the 50th! 

Right!  My suspicion is Page didn't have the energy/interest/motivation to put out an official "How the East Was Won" package, so someone in the Zep camp (perhaps out of annoyance) pirated the prospective shows.

2 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Right!  My suspicion is Page didn't have the energy/interest/motivation to put out an official "How the East Was Won" package, so someone in the Zep camp (perhaps out of annoyance) pirated the prospective shows.

Who are you referring to by "Zep camp"?

7 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Here's the Google translation:

LED ZEPPELIN LED ZEPPELIN LED ZEPPELIN LED ZEPPELIN LED ZEPPELIN 928 day 8700PM) <Admission Special 2.29 06 s Seat 6 LED ZEPPELIN LED ZEPPELIN LED ZEPPELIN LED ZEPPELIN LED ZEPPELIN LED ZEPPELIN 928 SBD !!!!! I'm a Super Sad, a Planetary Golden Special, Serve Gorgeous Aftercare Kid 28! In the meantime, the first Japanese release in 0! 79th 1st 9th 28th Ultra Spur Sound Board !! SUPREMĐISCPRODUCED BY THE WTH TWINS EVS D-DH GHT AL A UDI0 ALL ROH RESRED UNALTHOR DLPLCATEN SAV Paco LATION LED ZEPPELIN LED ZEPPELIN LED

Well that’s that cleared up then .. 

58 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Someone who would have had access to shows to be used in a presumed aborted official live release, e.g. Kevin Shirley or Jason Bonham.

No offense, but that's preposterous, and I've never used that word before. The pocket change kickback they'd get wouldn't come close to justifying the legal (and professional) ramifications of doing something like that.       

8 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

No offense, but that's preposterous, and I've never used that word before. The pocket change kickback they'd get wouldn't come close to justifying the legal (and professional) ramifications of doing something like that.       

You may well be right.  (I think you may be mixing responses to different posts, BTW.)  But it seems clear that these Osaka boards are coming from a different source than the "soundboard revolution" source (and even there you have to distinguish between the '75 and '77 shows).

2 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

You may well be right.  (I think you may be mixing responses to different posts, BTW.)  But it seems clear that these Osaka boards are coming from a different source than the "soundboard revolution" source (and even there you have to distinguish between the '75 and '77 shows).

Right, and who knows how many people are in the "camp". There are likely many people we know nothing about who have been part of the archive, multiple storage sites ( vaults) , studio engineers , employees etc. If Page is reviewing the live archive, he's not the only person involved. Maybe "camp" isn't the right word, but "team". 

31 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

Right, and who knows how many people are in the "camp". There are likely many people we know nothing about who have been part of the archive, multiple storage sites ( vaults) , studio engineers , employees etc. If Page is reviewing the live archive, he's not the only person involved. Maybe "camp" isn't the right word, but "team". 

Exactly. And think of how many years that Page and the band’s employees, friends, and families have had these various tapes. There was that quote someone posted from Phil Carson, who played during the encores at Osaka 928. His comment was along the lines of listening to the 928 tape the next day or something like that.

That was 48 years ago. It’s not as if these things got forgotten and all of a sudden got dug up in the 90s and thrown onto cassettes. These recordings have probably been archived multiple times over the decades. 

Just look at Page’s recent photobooks. He kept EVERYTHING from his time in the Yardbirds, Zeppelin, etc. Clothes, memorabilia, documents, photos, receipts. Many things that you’d think he wouldn’t have bothered with given his celebrity status. Yet they’re all perfectly preserved, just like that Tower House he owns. Hard to imagine that he would treat the Zeppelin live tapes any different. 

56 minutes ago, pluribus said:

Hard to imagine that he would treat the Zeppelin live tapes any different. 

Now put that in the perspective of him handing out his master tapes all Willy nilly and care free. Doesn't add up, does it? Maybe it's just me, but I have a really hard time believing that a compulsive control freak like Page would let anything slip through his hands that easily. Again, anyone involved on a professional level with Page who was granted these soundboards (not multitracked so that's 99% not Page anyway) and decided to release them for chump change would be committing career suicide.