Jimmy Page @ The MET In NY for the Play It Loud: Instruments of Rock and Roll exhibit

zeplz71

2 hours ago, badgeholder said:

Looks like an awesome exhibit. I've seen some other photos from it, they have a bunch of serious guitars there, like SRV's #1, and EVH's complete set up. Also spotted Jerry Garcia's guitar. If you go, please share some photos

? Do museum rules allow cell phone photography by the general public??

16 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

dragonsuit_met.jpg

I’m in New York mid July so will definitely visit-I would have thought tho that. they could have modelled a typical Jimmy pose -I have NEVER seen a pic of Jimmy standing and playing in this position !

Edited by Paganini

3 hours ago, Paganini said:

I’m in New York mid July so will definitely visit-I would have thought tho that. they could have modelled a typical Jimmy pose -I have NEVER seen a pic of Jimmy standing and playing in this position !

How about The Song Remains The Same (mirror image movie scene) ?

R😎🎸

6 minutes ago, reids said:

How about The Song Remains The Same (mirror image movie scene) ?

R😎🎸

Not with his left leg bent like that ..he usually stands with legs apart but fairly straight and leaning backwards ....

4 hours ago, Paganini said:

Not with his left leg bent like that ..he usually stands with legs apart but fairly straight and leaning backwards ....

Well, I’m sure Jimmy signed off on it, so if it’s good enough for him, I guess we’ll have to endure. Just glad he was out being seen playing the guitar recently. Better at a museum than nowhere. 

R😎🎸

17 hours ago, reids said:

Well, I’m sure Jimmy signed off on it, so if it’s good enough for him, I guess we’ll have to endure. Just glad he was out being seen playing the guitar recently. Better at a museum than nowhere. 

R😎🎸

Indeed ..great to see the man can still play, 

22 hours ago, Paganini said:

I would think if one looks at every frame of say TSRTS I'm sure one would find that pose.

1 hour ago, JTM said:

I would think if one looks at every frame of say TSRTS I'm sure one would find that pose.

That’s what I thought, too. I’m sure the purpose of the pose is to focus on the guitar and the stance is one of action (per TSRTS). 

R😎🎸

Edited by reids

5 hours ago, anniemouse said:

Has the curators done that pose deliberately so the viewer can get a better look at the guitar, rather than relying on Jimmy's style.

It's temporary. When the exhibit opens to the public Jimmy will be in the display case posing with it, thus achieving his goal "to be seen playing live".

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

It's temporary. When the exhibit opens to the public Jimmy will be in the display case posing with it, thus achieving his goal "to be seen playing live".

I rather prefer the idea of Jimmy being "housed" in the exhibit with the amplifiers.

If you put a token in the slot...he'll come out and respond to you, with one of 5 statements in answer to any query. ☺️

21 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

No good deed goes unpunished. God forbid Jimmy Page enjoy his life.

giphy.gif

• 3 weeks later...

It must be quite strange to being looking at your prized possessions (i.e. guitars aka mistresses, wives) on display in a very well respected museum. Peering at them and wondering what happened!  Life goes by in a flash, Master Page grabbed the ring early and steadily moved toward his goal/dream.  Thank you Master Page! 

• 4 weeks later...

So I saw the exhibit this weekend. Liked it a lot. Jimmy is on film playing bits of Stairway, Kashmir and Communication Breakdown. All with commentary about the guitars etc... Pretty cool but a shame he has become a museum artefact as opposed to a working musician!!!

10 hours ago, Urozep said:

So I saw the exhibit this weekend. Liked it a lot. Jimmy is on film playing bits of Stairway, Kashmir and Communication Breakdown. All with commentary about the guitars etc... Pretty cool but a shame he has become a museum artefact as opposed to a working musician!!!

Jimmy IS a working musician. Right now he is WORKING on that hot tamale he has and doing his best to make her sing. In other words, he skipped right over the gigging part and went straight for the after-party. Good for you Jimmy, you earned it...this Scarlet's for you!

3 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Jimmy IS a working musician. Right now he is WORKING on that hot tamale he has and doing his best to make her sing. In other words, he skipped right over the gigging part and went straight for the after-party. Good for you Jimmy, you earned it...this Scarlet's for you!

Hahaha exactly!

Been to the Met so after not being on here for almost 3 years figured I'd share some pics.  Folks there were ok with cellphone, but definitely objected to flash photos. I filmed the entire Jimmy video but can't post that up on here. If I ever load it up to youtube I'll post link, but I suspect most of you have already seen it anyways. If you're in town definitely worth the $25 bucks, unless you gots a library card. I'd love to have a talk with Perry about the BB as he says it's been restored. I'd like to know when and to what condition. For the life of me I can't see any evidence of there being 3 toggles on this. Unless it was covered up 45 years ago and then aged to the condition it's in now. Too bad they had the guitar mounted in a way so you couldn't see the back and any other tell tale signs of the extensive routing work Joe Jammer said he put in. I don't recall seeing that guitar with pickup covers since pre RAH, yet this one has well aged covers.  The #1 is just something you need to see in person and just be in awe of it. The Dragon sadly has also been restored to the same condition as the one you can purchase at the Met store so also kinda hard to believe it's truly the original. I now question all the stories of it being ruined beyong playability and the neck being re-used in the Botswana brown tele. 

Anyways enjoy these. I got a gazzillion more but these are some of the coolest ones.  I definitely plan on going back again before it all goes off to Cleveland. To be seen to be, but not being played. 

#1.JPG

#1_closeup.JPG

#1_Headstock.JPG

#1_whole.JPG

#1back_closeup.JPG

BB_pickup.JPG

dragon.JPG

No_serial.JPG

stage.JPG

transperformance.JPG

BBHeadstockJPG.JPG

Capture.JPG