list your top guitarist's

boogie

You saw them live! I'm guessing you saw Thin Lizzy then. I haven't seen them but Gorham was on my list anyway (as well Robertson). I am quite the Lizzy fan enjoyingmusic.gif

Oh,yeah,i saw them live,what a show!It was the INEC in Kilarney,Co. Kerry,here in Ireland.The final encore was Black Rose,the only weird thing was they didn't play Whiskey In The Jar,they played everything else though,Tommy Aldridge even rescued the drum solo from the realms of the cliché,at his age he probably shouldn't have been playing the drums with his face,Gorham,Robertson,Sykes,Moore,Bell,White and any guitarist connected to Thin Lizzy Rock!The best thing that ever came out of my country,fuck U2.

*Disclaimer:I still prefer Zeppelin.*

Hmm, In no particular order...:

Jimmy Page

Dave Mustaine

Nick Drake

Slash

Jimi Hendrix

Joe Perry

John Lennon (he may not have technically been a great guitarist, but he could make a guitar fuckin' howl and move)

Robbie Krieger

Jack White

Eddie Van Halen

Andrew Stockdale

John Paul Jones

Jimi Hendrix

Bert Jansch

John Renbourn

Jimmy Page

Eric Clapton

Carlos Santana

Roy Buchanan

Rory Gallagher

B.B.King

In my opinion, Paul Mahon(the Answer) and Andrew Stockdale(Wolfmother) are pretty good, too

1. Jimmy Hendrix, This guy changed music forever !! See the sound & the look on Monterey pop.

2. Jimmy Page, See almost anything he played on !!

3. Rory Gallagher, See any ''live'' cd or dvd. He could play any style of music at will !! Sorry Eric.

4.Eddie Van Halen, See first 6 Van Halen cd's

5.Tommy Bolin, See ''Live at Ebbet's Field 1974 (FEARLESS) before he screwed up his arm.

Beck & Satriani are up there to.

Page

Hendrix

Gibbons

Clapton

SVR

Duane Allman.....(all time greatest slide player)

Zappa

Santana

Damn....there is a guy from the 60's that could make a tele talk... a Roy something...(not Orbison)

You thinking of Roy Buchanan? Heard a bit of him years ago and really liked his playing but had a hard time finding any of his stuff. Beck was a fan if I remember right. Dedicated "'Cause We Ended Like Lovers" to him on his 'Blow By Blow' album.

George Harrison is a great addition to these lists. A truly underrated guitarist.

You thinking of Roy Buchanan? Heard a bit of him years ago and really liked his playing but had a hard time finding any of his stuff. Beck was a fan if I remember right. Dedicated "'Cause We Ended Like Lovers" to him on his 'Blow By Blow' album.

George Harrison is a great addition to these lists. A truly underrated guitarist.

I left him off my list as i made my picks before i looked at everyones post proably a good idea as i would have had a fourty page list but i saw roy in 1978 at the great southern music hall orlando florida

he was great .He was found hung in a jail cell i believe in virgina the officals said suicide but there is some controversey there.for his music amazon.com or barnes and nobles has some of his stuff

Egh, Jimmy Page is a great musician but Jimi Hendrix was a better musician then he was. Eddie Van Halen is definitely top 5 guitarists

Musicians=music

guitarists=guitar

Need to know when to intertwine and seperate those

I'll bite. What IS the distinction between musician & guitarist?? I know many classically trained singers say they prefer to be called musician rather than vocalist, so what's the criteria for rock (not classical) guitarists?

Archived