what is the most moving/sad song ever?

Peep Solero

There are lots, of course, but the three that instantly come to mind for me are "Love of My Life", "Who Wants to Live Forever?", and "The Show Must Go On", all by Queen, made even more sad for me because of Freddie's death.

The Queen song that sends shivers down my spine is "Those Were The Days Of Our Lives". I remember watching the video, and the bit where Freddie looks into the camera at the end and says "I still love you" is incredibly haunting. He was so ill then, he must have known that he hadn't long left.

Aww, what a great song to mention! :)

Should I take it by your user name that you are a fan of Stevie's? How about "Beautiful Child" as a sad song?

I'm a huge Stevie fan. I saw the Mac in 2003 and they were fantastic. 'Beautiful Child' is a sad song, but I really feel the sadness in 'Storms'.

The original 1977 version of 'Planets of the Universe' is a tear jerker as well. Stevie later did it for her solo album, but I never really liked that version. Here's a demo of the original

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WW0iBOI6B30

Some of my favorites:

'The Flame', 'The Lengths' - the Black Keys

'In Loving Memory', 'Down To My Last', 'Burn It Down' - Alter Bridge

'Far Behind' - Candlebox

'Nutshell' - Alice In Chains

'Afraid Not Scared' - Ryan Adams

'Spoke In the Wheel' - Black Label Society--I recently found out it's about Wylde's father, which makes it more sad.

Man, those are some seriously great songs. I want to hear them all right now :lol:...I think I'll get on that :D

The Queen song that sends shivers down my spine is "Those Were The Days Of Our Lives". I remember watching the video, and the bit where Freddie looks into the camera at the end and says "I still love you" is incredibly haunting. He was so ill then, he must have known that he hadn't long left.

Oh, you're right! That kills me! I have tears in my eyes now, just thinking about it. :'(

I'm a huge Stevie fan. I saw the Mac in 2003 and they were fantastic. 'Beautiful Child' is a sad song, but I really feel the sadness in 'Storms'.

The original 1977 version of 'Planets of the Universe' is a tear jerker as well. Stevie later did it for her solo album, but I never really liked that version. Here's a demo of the original

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WW0iBOI6B30

Thanks for posting the link. :D I've been a fan of Stevie's for -- GASP! -- more than 30 years now, I just realized! :o I've shed more than a few tears to her tunes.

Last Goodbye - Jeff Buckley

Tonight - Elton John

She Is Leaving Home - The Beatles

I Believe - Robert Plant

Father Son - Peter Gabriel

*edited to add

Song To The Siren - Robert Plant's version

and lots of Brazilian songs would be on my list....but only Gio, Lu and a few more here know them.

Hmmm, challenging list to come up with. Sometimes it's not so much the words for me, but the mood of the song. Some that can easily bring me to tears:

Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - U2

Last Goodbye - Jeff Buckley

Who Knows Where the Time Goes - Joan Baez

I'm Not Ready For Love - Rufus Wainwright

Song to the Siren - Robert Plant's version

Old Friends/Bookends Theme - Simon and Garfunkel

Danang - Tim Buckley

Comin' Back to Me - Jefferson Airplane

Just reading this thread is making me weepy.

From the day it was released, “These Days” - Gregg Allman’s version, with his beautiful, passionate, wrenching vocals, from his “Laid Back” album has never failed to reduce me to a sobbing mess.

It started only within this past year; without warning or explanation, but I now find that I can no longer listen to the studio version of Tangerine without breaking down in tears. Although there is poignancy in the guitar solo (at least to me) the song itself doesn’t sound depressing…if it were depressing, it wouldn’t do such a number on my head…what makes it insidious is that the song offers glimpses of those moments of lightness and happiness that once were… for better or worse, the studio version of Tangerine has inexplicably made itself the latest anthem for my lost youth. <sigh>

Songs that make me happy/sad/angry

R.E.M. - Fall on me, Night Swimming

Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the UK - don't laugh I actually cried to this one - many memories.

Lloyd Cole - This one's from the hip, Rattlesnakes

Elvis Costello- Good Year for the Roses, Radio Radio

Pretenders- Thin Line Between Love and Hate, Brass in Pocket

LZ - Rain Song, IMTOD, both just make me feel, which is great

Garbage - Vow, Why do you love me

All bring back good/bad/sad memories and feelings

Archived