Plant's Post-Zeppelin Career. Love it or hate it?

Evster2012

138 members have voted

1. 1. Love it or hate it?

• Great work! Wonderful diversity!
    • If it ain't Zeppelin, I don't wanna know!

"All in All" Robert had the best "post zep" career. Slow dancer, is my favorite song. He definitely had other good and popular songs, but it ain't the same. I don't care to see Robert without Jimmy. their chemistry does something to Robert. When he's w/Zep or Page, or reunion he is "Macho", Transgender in a cool way. "Part Elvis,Part Janis Joplin" and completely amazing! On his own? He just looks like some old hippie faggot that won't come out of the closet. Waving his hands around in some sort of motion I can't even stand to see him do. I love the "Led Zep, Robert" 75' 77' Strutting his stuff, ala "Trampled" "Kashmir" "Achilles"!!!!!! (But, Ironically, my girls think he looks like a chic w/out boobs in the Earls Court footage.) "Go Figure"!!!

That would be me too. But "Ship Of Fools" and "Darkness Darkness" have become 2 of my very favorite songs, so I would have to say I like his solo stuff.

Ship of Fools might just be my favorite of all. Doug Boyle's guitar is magical! Really spacious and articulate.

And I'd never hesitate to tell him so! Magnificent! ;)

On his own? He just looks like some old hippie faggot that won't come out of the closet. Waving his hands around in some sort of motion I can't even stand to see him do.

Nice post Johnnie Asshat....Gestapo fits accordingly you fucking numbnut.

Personally I love the solo years, it's not Zeppelin but he's certainly been an eye opener for me…music wise, really opening my mind to different types of music.

But then again I'll take my Plant any shape or form, the man got skill that I just can't deny.

Here's a question though I always wanted to know the answer for, is there such a thing as a fan of Robert Plant's work who became a fan of his solo career first and then through that discovered love for Zeppelin? Or is it just natural and obligatory that Plant appreciators derive from Zeppelin fans?

Has anyone here came to love the solo albums before Zeppelin?

Personally I love the solo years, it's not Zeppelin but he's certainly been an eye opener for me…music wise, really opening my mind to different types of music.

But then again I'll take my Plant any shape or form, the man got skill that I just can't deny.

Here's a question though I always wanted to know the answer for, is there such a thing as a fan of Robert Plant's work who became a fan of his solo career first and then through that discovered love for Zeppelin? Or is it just natural and obligatory that Plant appreciators derive from Zeppelin fans?

What a great question. I did get turned back on to Zeppelin through picking up "Mighty Rearranger" and having it remind me of the earlier work, but, that's not the same thing.

If there was an "enjoy it, don't hate it, don't love it" option in this poll, I'd choose that.

But "Ship of Fools" is also one of my all time favorite songs from anyone. I also still enoy listening to the Honeydrippers EP occasionally, plus MR is a damn good record. I like the diversity of it (just like I enjoy the diversity of Zeppelin records).

Nice post Johnnie Asshat....Gestapo fits accordingly you fucking numbnut.

Sorry to offend! That quote, esp. by itself seems a little rough. And I shouldn't have put it that way. Do you understand what I was trying to say? Plant and Page back in the day were something to watch! They still "have it" when they're together. Just watch the reunion.

There's no option for my choice,so I'll just say it.I like what I've heard of it,and it does show diversity,but when I'm "in the mood" to hear Robert Plant sing,I put on a Led Zeppelin disc.

Hate would be too strong a word for it,but so would love.

Very well put! I should have put it that way. Instead I stuck my foot in my mouth. (See later comment by (Johnnie Gestappo)

Well, I have some friends who are first into Raising Sand. They were not really rock fans, so I thought it was better if I introduced something softer to them first. They really loved the album and went on to hear Dreamland and Mighy Rearranger. Zeppelin era came as the latest, it may sounds strange for zep fans but so was it. ;)

I've enjoyed his post-Zep work! Seen some great shows. There've been some amazing songs!

I love most of Bob's post Zep stuff.

Fate of Nations is one of the best CD's in my collection IMO.

I just received Mighty Rearranger about a month ago and it is fantastic!

I'm a big Robert Plant fan...and his post Zeppelin Career for me is much like ice cream with the many different favors. There is something for everyone but I have noticed not many people give it a try and seem determine to dislike something from the start but I have also notice that once people pick it up they do find a favor to their liking.

For myself I have noticed that something I didn't pick up on when I was younger hits me harder the older I get so I do think age puts a wisdom on understanding music and relating to different songs and lyrics on a higher level. I know I thirst to heard more and different types of music and I have a need for the history behind music. I want to do more than just listen to the music at this stage in my life...I want to understand it.

I also noticed that when I was younger I was on a faster speed and that at times I didn't slow down to enjoy all the songs or the meanings. I think I was on a need for speed and felt the harder and louder a song was the better it was haha not always but some times

There have been Plant songs that I kind of floated by and didn't slow down to listen to them but when I went back to take a peek at them I drown in them. I'd love to see the people who voted that they weren't into Robert's other musical paths and choices come back a few years down the road and see if they still feel the same. I know Mr. Plant keeps me on my toes and each song is a lesson and pushes my musical taste and limits haha

Go Robert!

That's some deep insight...what I have noticed from being a Plant fan and also being a Zeppelin fan and then cross over to the world that is solely on Robert's other side there are many Plant fans that do not even care too much for this Zeppelin side. They would prefer him to not play the Zeppelin songs or songs from his past. It use to get pretty darn interesting when topics of Led Zeppelin come up on Robert Plant message boards because many Plant fans only want to talk about what he is doing now...there is very little interest in what he did then or even mixing the two.

Which to me is very interesting since I feel it all is a part of who he is and where he is going...I figure you can't erase a person's past more so his musical past since it's pretty much documented and marked in stone haha

Which brings me to the comment about how Robert Plant adds a bit of Zeppelin to his music which at times from my view point isn't always intentional (okay maybe a little bit in the past which I think was for fun and humor)...and I really don't believe that Robert Plant is still on the quest to escape his musical past...I think he has reached the point of giving in and embracing it for what it is and was.

and he has noted this in recent interviews and articles.

I have this belief that you can take the man out of Led Zeppelin but you can't take the Led Zeppelin out of the man ;)

My favorite Plant solo album is: Fate of Nations closely followed by Mighty Rearranger. :)

"Calling To You" just rocks each time you play the cd...

There's so many great cuts on both (well, all of his solo cds), but these two came to mind first (for today). :)

R B)

A very diverse solo career and to think for the first two tours he didn't rely on any of the Zep catologue, not many people of his stature would dare to do that for whatever reason...if only for that he deserves respect :). But every album and tour since Zeppelin (apart from Honeydrippers 81 as I wasn't at those :() has come up with something interesting.........Love alot of his solo work from Slow Dancer ,via Pink and Black, Wreckless Love ,Tye Dye on the Highway to The Enchanter !! The Priory of Bryon was also memorable.

Even if his present collaboration is little well lets say nort really my cuppa, I just love the fact he will try anything !!

He is a Rock God you know :)

Slow Dancer

Like I've Never Been Gone

Burning Down One Side

In the Mood

Big Log

Great songs by the newly solo Plant!

Awesome song. I actually had this LP since forever but never listened to it till recently. I was pleasantly suprised for it being a product of the 80's

"All in All" Robert had the best "post zep" career. Slow dancer, is my favorite song. He definitely had other good and popular songs, but it ain't the same. I don't care to see Robert without Jimmy. their chemistry does something to Robert. When he's w/Zep or Page, or reunion he is "Macho", Transgender in a cool way. "Part Elvis,Part Janis Joplin" and completely amazing! On his own? He just looks like some old hippie faggot that won't come out of the closet. Waving his hands around in some sort of motion I can't even stand to see him do. I love the "Led Zep, Robert" 75' 77' Strutting his stuff, ala "Trampled" "Kashmir" "Achilles"!!!!!! (But, Ironically, my girls think he looks like a chic w/out boobs in the Earls Court footage.) "Go Figure"!!!

<_< Such language.

• 4 weeks later...

He has an great body of work post Zeppelin. You could argue that he's the most sucsessful artist to have a seperate career, sorry Phil Collins.

My first Plant show was in 1988 and he opened with Pink and Black. Unlike most, I really enjoyed Shakin and Stirred, and was pleased to hear this. I'm partial to Pictures at 11, but I guess it's because it was one of the first lp's I bought as a kid. I had seen the Firm in 1986, and must say that I enjoyed Robert's show more. I've seen Robert a few dozen times and have never been disapointed.

I think his best line-up was the Fate Of Nations tour. Great playing, and a solid Disc.

• 2 months later...

It was hit or miss with me. I really liked some of his earlier stuff, but I lost interest after awhile. He seems to be doing something right, since so many people still listen to him. It just doesn't do anything for me though.

I have said this a few times already: I am a fan of Led Zeppelin much more than of the individual efforts by the band members. That doesn't mean I can't appreciate the latter, of course not, but I have found them of varying quality. As for Robert, I quite liked his first album, and I thought Shaken 'n' Stirred was an honest attempt to work from new influences - it may not be consistently great, but there are good songs on there, and it was taking things into an unexpected direction. I honestly did not like Now and Zen or Manic Nirvana. Many years later I saw The Strange Sensation here in 2005, and it was a wonderful gig, Robert gave an excellent performance. It was a pretty similar show as the one on the DVD. The Mighty Rearranger was a good album, I thought.

• 2 months later...

Archived