Jimmy's Outrider tour

NickZepp

I've decided to get some boots from this concert. I didn't expect a lot because of how disliked the entire Outrider thing seemed to be. But of the shows I've collected it's actually some good stuff. Page can always put on a good show even when he was completely plastered in the 70s. And it's much the same in the 80s. I would like to know others opinions on the 88 shows.

I attended the Tampa show from the 4th row. It was my first time seeing Pagey and it was magical!! When I was attemting to get to my seat, Pagey was at the side of the stage - I yelled "Pagey" and he looked and waved - that started an amazing evening! Loved the bow with the lasers, the Dazed jam that followed, etc. The guy that sang - John Miles (?) was pretty good. Over the Hills... was awesome and In My Time Of Dying was unbelievable. Jimmy was mesmerizing playing that slide Danelectro. Of course Jason was on drums for that tour, which was very cool. It was a great, great show!

I think Page's playing was better then than during the P & P Tours. I think it was his best playing in the last 20 years.

From listening to the stuff with the Black Crowes I think he played just as good if not better for that tour.

I was at the show in Mesa Az which was heavily bootlegged including video. Mainly due to the fact it was an outdoor show with a giant hotel directly next door for a perfect view. My friends were all up in the hotel taping and drinking. Sadly- they were better at the drinking, but there are some good versions out there that people dubbed the audio/video together. I thought it was a great show. Page was really good for the majority of it. Honestly- I thought he played even better at the Ahmet/O2 show to be honest. Especially his riffs. You can find those Mesa vids pretty easy if you look.......

One of the best shows I have ever seen on the Outrider tour, at the hammersmith Odeon it was just vibrant. His Deathwish materaial came over really well, really good memories of that show :)

One of the best shows I have ever seen on the Outrider tour, at the hammersmith Odeon it was just vibrant. His Deathwish materaial came over really well, really good memories of that show :)

He he, that was the one on my birthday.

Wonders why that boy is still hiding... :o

We have work to do.

I was fortunate and lucky to catch 3 shows from that tour.

Detroit , Rochester and Albany NY.

I taped all three , and assisted on the bootleg video of the all too famous Detroit show.

It was a great time , and hard to believe that it's already twenty years ago .

Jeez, where does the time go. To be that young once again !! Aaaaaaah.

That was a particularly exciting time because RP had toured all summer and was finally doing LZ numbers in his set list. Having never seen that before in the previous years we were all bowled over . And lets not forget that Rob's voice on that tour was mint. Dreams of Jimmy were dancing through our minds.

And then came JP. The Outrider had landed.

Waiting for that tour to begin was an achingly loooooooooong time.

And then finally the live shows began.

I still remember to this day standing at side stage , and being pensive through the first two songs of the show in Detroit. The first show I saw.

Who's To Blame, the concert opener for that tour was quite an uptempo and speedy like version and allowed JP to warm up those pinkies. The riff is fairly easy , and we were quickly treated to the format for the evening when he absolutely ripped into a burning lead.

Prelude offered a slower pace with a tone and sound that evoked pure emotion.

And then OTHAFA !!!

Intro nice, vocals surprising and the full band sound spot on. So far at that point -- wow .

Waiting for that lead break was building and I was praying for the JP of old to surface.

Well, surface he did , and then some .

I actually shed a small tear as he wielded his axe in true Jimmy like form and leaned into that F-sharp groove. Tingles of joy . JP was back in full form. The rest of the night was pure awe.

With the sing a long STH at the end , complete with a solo to match all solo's.

I've listened to almost that entire tour courtesy of the many fine fans and traders that do our taping affairs and all I can say is that those were some golden moments.

Each and every show featured some raw and inspired Page , with some of the best solo's I've heard. Every night was a roller coaster of rock n roll. There was a fair amount of add-libbing on that tour so many of the songs had new approaches.

The set list alone is one of a kind . The variety of songs are still some of my fave JP numbers.

Much like the Firm tours of 85 /86 , the 88 tour as well offered a unique look into the playing of our beloved man.

Bring back the magic .

• 3 weeks later...
I've decided to get some boots from this concert. I didn't expect a lot because of how disliked the entire Outrider thing seemed to be. But of the shows I've collected it's actually some good stuff. Page can always put on a good show even when he was completely plastered in the 70s. And it's much the same in the 80s. I would like to know others opinions on the 88 shows.

I caught him in November '88 at Birmingham, UK. Small, unseated venue and was able to get pretty close to the stage (saw Plant there too in March '88.) 18 at the time and too young to have seen Zep. Anyway Jimmy was just awesome with a huge stage presence. Felt like i was seeing the engine of Led Zeppelin even though the others weren't there. Remember Prelude where he seemed to get time to stand still with those long emotion-filled bends, OFTAFA where he worked Custard Pie into the riff. An absolutely magic evening. A boot exists which i can strongly reccommend.

I was at the show in Mesa Az which was heavily bootlegged including video. Mainly due to the fact it was an outdoor show with a giant hotel directly next door for a perfect view. My friends were all up in the hotel taping and drinking. Sadly- they were better at the drinking, but there are some good versions out there that people dubbed the audio/video together. I thought it was a great show. Page was really good for the majority of it. Honestly- I thought he played even better at the Ahmet/O2 show to be honest. Especially his riffs. You can find those Mesa vids pretty easy if you look.......

I have the video. Starts off with him signing a guitar for an MTV contest winner and there's an interview prior to the show. I liked it. I remember there's a part where he takes a swig o' Heineken and it starts foaming over and he mentioned his hands were sticky and kept trying to dry it off before the tune.

I have boots of Cleveland and East Rutherford. I saw him at The Spectrum in Philly. Amazing! I remember he was doing The Chase and all the sudden went into the Dazed and Confused jam from TSRTS and the place ERUPTED! The bow solo was almost a religious experience. Loved that show!

I have nearly all of the currently available shows from the 88 tour.

I saw 3 myself in a just over a week in Birmingham London and Manchester B)

Met the band twice in the pubs next to the Hammersmith Odeon and then the Apollo in Manchester. Jimmy didn't join them though :(

Great shows though and it was wonderful to see Jimmy live :rolleyes:

The Outrider show was really a great representation of Jimmy's stylistic diversity. Stairway To Heaven done instrumentally was worth the price of admission alone.

Page's involvement with The Firm was a guitar rehabilitation situation and his playing those songs live superceded the eponymous debut album versions. But, the last time I saw The Firm live on 5/6/86 was the absolute worst I've ever heard from Jimmy Page. It was so bad it was like punishment. So with Jimmy's 1988 solo tour my expectations were fairly low, until the opening blast furnace trio of Who's To Blame, Prelude and Over The Hills and Far Away. Talk about being born again. It was an amazing show and Jimmy's performance was stunning. I've not forgotten what he's capable of.

I saw the -jimmy page show at -nassau coliseum in 88. I thought it was cool the way he played stuff from deathwish/the firm/led zep and outrider...made for a really good show. I was much younger and didnt take to the -outrider album anything like a -led zeppelin album. so that show kind of enlightened me about -jimmy page, in regards to his music and where he was coming from at that time of his life.

The Outrider show was really a great representation of Jimmy's stylistic diversity. Stairway To Heaven done instrumentally was worth the price of admission alone.

Page's involvement with The Firm was a guitar rehabilitation situation and his playing those songs live superceded the eponymous debut album versions. But, the last time I saw The Firm live on 5/6/86 was the absolute worst I've ever heard from Jimmy Page. It was so bad it was like punishment. So with Jimmy's 1988 solo tour my expectations were fairly low, until the opening blast furnace trio of Who's To Blame, Prelude and Over The Hills and Far Away. Talk about being born again. It was an amazing show and Jimmy's performance was stunning. I've not forgotten what he's capable of.

I saw him with The Firm in New Haven in 1986 and I remember it being not one of his better performances. That would change dramatically in the years to follow.

He did do the bow laser pyramid bit during The Firm show and I thought that was pretty wild.

Archived