JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

I found this OTD to be very interesting too, MSG. I did not know anything about the Brill Building before tonight. I loved reading his memories of his first trip to the States. I had actually wondered before when it was. It is very interesting about Jackie. I am happy to learn that. Perhaps he didn't think of it or as you almost said, she is a very special memory to him. :D

Aen, I only knew about it before because I grew up near there (one set of grandparents lived just a few blocks from the building itself) during the time when the music was being created. I'm not sure if this was the trip when Jimmy was with Jackie but I'm sure his (and her) memories of their days together are precious. :)

...MSG and AEN, I was thinking in the musical collaboration sense (didn't occur to me otherwise)...and MSG, Now that you mention it, I too think that it is in pure class taste for Jimmy to mention this archive as he did....

The building is magnificient MSG, totally the opposite of the very first, first old wooden apartment building that I arrived in, the dark interior still flashes once in a while, particularly when I visit that Era here at the Official Site...

PlanetPage, to be honest, I was thinking musical and otherwise..but maybe I have the dates wrong. In any case, you're right:Jimmy's mention of it was pure class.

So many of the apartment buildings were dark and drab then but the Brill Building was a magnificent contrast.

...this is a great memory luvlz2...truly an exception in the 80's...I was not able to do this; I hope you still have your recording,,,,,,,,,,

I don't have it anymore, but I did end up aquiring it on vinyl.

Weird. I was just thinking about Lulu this morning while getting ready for work, for no reason on God's green earth.

Anyway! I thought Jimmy didn't meet Jackie DeShannon until 1965, no? And the entry makes one think that he was Bert's guest. Previously, JP had only said, rather cryptically, that he came over to the U.S. "with some people."

He was a mere lad of 20, yet he was meeting powerful folk in the industry such as the Atlantic brass and Andrew Loog Oldham.

JPLuLu.jpg

Does anyone know if this is from the same time that Jimmy talks about in his most recent OTD? Or, was this photo taken later, during his time with the Yardbirds?

Judging from the hair, it does look like his session man days.

Maybe it's not, but the second person from the left looks like Keith Relf.to me.

Definitely Keith Relf. Unmistakeable hairdo....

The guy with the specs next to Jimmy is Lek Leckford from Hermans Hermits, which means I'm probably right about Peter Noone on far right.

Dunno how that dates things?

Newsnight absolutely doesn't own that footage. It's just the standard material which was released to all media organisations on the night and so, at the point of broadcast, was very new material.

And actually a classic Newsnight dilemma: The story everyone's hanging on, but you just don't have that edgy take on it which would justify 10 minutes of programme time. Solution : end titles .. not only do you acknowledge the story, but if your Editor happens to have spent his evening at the o2 he's going to love it ...

More interesting is why, of so many available sources , Jimmy and/or his website team have chosen this one ?

For Newsnight aficionados ( anyone who views the content of Newsnight as part of History) it's a huge moment : a very official mark of approval.

But of all the tributes Jimmy must have relished after that performance, it's a bit surreal to find Newsnight's contribution is the one he's picked on.

It seems much of this is also being ghost-written as Jimmy would never refer to Gallows Pole as Hangman as "he" did on the December 10th OTD feature.

Not sure about that. Jimmy has a peculiar way of "phrasing" his english language and the small day-to-day text snippets are in his style. I can't put my finger on it but it reads like his text.

Does anyone know if this is from the same time that Jimmy talks about in his most recent OTD? Or, was this photo taken later, during his time with the Yardbirds?

I think the guy next to Jimmy is Mickie Most. And since Lulu, The Yardbirds, and Herman's Hermits were all being produced by Most in 1967, I'd guess that the picture was taken in early 1967.

I think the guy next to Jimmy is Mickie Most. And since Lulu, The Yardbirds, and Herman's Hermits were all being produced by Most in 1967, I'd guess that the picture was taken in early 1967.

Agree. Looks like a young Mickie Most.

"I felt the adrenaline rising as the evening approached. It was as though I was on autopilot, it felt like I was playing again that evening. The euphoric tidal wave was overwhelming. We had done the O2 and the response to it was so positive. The spirit of the band was shining."

GHOST-WRITTEN ? That ? I don't think so....

I am as cynical as the next man or woman but it's hard to imagine anything more authentic .. or from the heart.

Archived