The Best No Quarters Live! am i weird......

donb8

FIRSTLY. AM SORRY ABOUT MY GRAMMER AND SPELLING. ENGLISH ISNT MY FIRST LANGUAGE.

Whenever i read posts about no quarter live, here and all over the internet.There seems to be a lot of praise for the 1975 versions, but to my ears and my personal inner led zeppelin core(lol)..... they are bad. I find them to be overlong and boring (not a good combination). Jimmys solo's seem to fail 90% of the time. john paul jones is as usual professional and competent but i just dont FEEEL it this year(the led zeppelin insyncness in no quarter and in general isn't there)- MAYBE ITS THE UGLY SOUNDBOARDS BLASTING OUT ROBERTS BROKEN GLASS VOICE.... I DONT KNOW.

In 1977, the opposite happens, John Paul Jones piano perfomances seem to work and Jimmys endless soloing is put on the back burner. Roberts improved voice is a boon and the band just gels with this NEW rendition of No quarter. Bonham is the literal "dogs of doom" this year(FOREBODING?). 
However, to me No quarter worked best in 1973. Jimmy solos are the works of a literal master of the guitar. There are moments where i wonder whether HE IS Playing for the devil.   :)  Jonesys piano purrs a vision  of a hellscape and of course Bonham perfectly brings it all together. but most importantly, Roberts rough voice doesnt distract from the music most of the time, which it does in 1975.

Finally, my top 5 versions of the year, 🙂

1- 28TH JULY AT MADISON SQUARE GARDEN. There's no doubt in my mind that this is the best. JIMMMMY!!!  HE evokes Zdzisław Beksiński's paintings in my opinion, as do the next two.

2-29TH  JULY AT MADISON SQUARE GARDEN. In my opinion, this is another masterpiece second only to the previous one. JIMMY.......i have no words. Is he trying to impress the former Choir master of heaven....  ;D John  Paul jones' bass literally opens the gates of hell.

3-13TH JULY AT COBO HALL, DETROIT. This came out recently and it is amazing. I love the feel of it here. Jimmy and john paul paul jones are on fire.(JPJ has a little bass solo that is soul shaking lol.)

4- 19TH MAY FORTWORTH TEXAS . I really enjoy this interpretation. This is what happens when jimmy does jazz experimentation right! A great version.

5-26th may salt lake city/13th may  mobile -  A tie! Both are really great, but i really love the short solo at the mobile show

Honourable Mentions!

15th july buffalo/ 18th july vancouver/10th july milwaukee

NOTE- We get a hint of the solo from the 27th msg show with its syncopated jazzy end in the song remains the same soundtrack. since its tiny i cant place it on my list,but oh boy its groovy and deserves a mention. I can only imagine what the full solo sounds like!
What do you guys think?

BTW AM a 26 year old fan..... so please be kind....lol.

Edited by donb8

11 minutes ago, Zep Hed said:

The feature of the '75 versions that make them worthwhile is the 3-man improvisation that follows JPJ's solo. The musicianship and synchronicity are out of this world. Take another listen to 18 May, Earls Court. Top notch!

ill' give it a serious try. 

The '73 tour has some very nice versions (Vancouver), but to my ears, the shorter compact renditions usually stuck to the same pattern or vibe; whereas on the '75 tour (particularly February and onwards) the jams got bigger, obviously & more creative. There's not one NQ from that period, where I would say the piano jams sounded similar to another night.

The '77 tour is also high on my list for NQ & how they stretched out the improvisational jams into 2 sections, even if the 2nd section before the outro had a similar vibe or pattern to it. The 4/28/77 performance is high on my favorites because they seem to encapsulate every kind of mood on that jam--The Nutrocker, a little bit of what I would call "bar room blues" and the standard jam before the end...

Edited by paul carruthers

2 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

The '73 tour has some very nice versions (Vancouver), but to my ears, the shorter compact renditions usually stuck to the same pattern or vibe; whereas on the '75 tour (particularly February and onwards) the jams got bigger, obviously & more creative. There's not one NQ from that period, where I would say the piano jams sounded similar to another night.

The '77 tour is also high on my list for NQ & how they stretched out the improvisational jams into 2 sections, even if the 2nd section before the outro had a similar vibe or pattern to it. The 4/28/77 performance is high on my favorites because they seem to encapsulate every kind of mood on that jam--The Nutrocker, a little bit of what I would call "bar room blues" and the standard jam before the end...

Cool perspective!

ive never really listened to the 1977 versions...... beyond the listen to this eddie version...... so i guess i have work to do.

6 hours ago, Zep Hed said:

The feature of the '75 versions that make them worthwhile is the 3-man improvisation that follows JPJ's solo. The musicianship and synchronicity are out of this world. Take another listen to 18 May, Earls Court. Top notch!

The West Coast March '75 "No Quarters" where Jones and Bonham send the jam off in a jazz direction are the best for '75 IMO, especially March 19 and 25th.

6 hours ago, donb8 said:

Cool perspective!

ive never really listened to the 1977 versions...... beyond the listen to this eddie version...... so i guess i have work to do.

You have to hear the 6/11/77 "No Quarter", absolutely killer version. There is NO bad version of "No Quarter".

• 7 months later...
24 minutes ago, BobDobbs said:

Surprised no 3-10, 5-18, or 5-23. Those are three top notch versions IMO.

I hear good things about the two Earl's Court performances, but I usually don't spend much time with audience sources (Mike Mallard tapes excluded). 

46 minutes ago, pujols05 said:

I hear good things about the two Earl's Court performances, but I usually don't spend much time with audience sources (Mike Mallard tapes excluded). 

5-17 and 5-18 EC are actually pretty decently recorded, you might wanna give em a shot. Both shows have a lot to offer, to say the least. Montreal 75 is very listenable as well and has one of the best NQ of 75. 

On 4/20/2021 at 7:45 AM, Bonzo_fan said:

You left out the best '73 version IMO: July 21 in Providence!

July 17 Seattle and July 20 Boston are excellent as well.

Totally agree, love Providence NQ from 73 with Seattle 7-17 a close second

3 hours ago, 1975NQ said:

5-17 and 5-18 EC are actually pretty decently recorded, you might wanna give em a shot. Both shows have a lot to offer, to say the least. Montreal 75 is very listenable as well and has one of the best NQ of 75. 

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll have to track those shows down. 

For 75 NQs, you kind of have to look deeper to find the good ones. The most popular one (5/24 EC) is not that great and way overhyped (cause there's a video of it), 5/25's is pretty good but not the best of the year. If you want a definitive 75 NQ, listen to 3/21, there's a great matrix of it that sounds awesome. 3/19 and 3/20 are also great versions.

18 minutes ago, EthanG said:

For 75 NQs, you kind of have to look deeper to find the good ones. The most popular one (5/24 EC) is not that great and way overhyped (cause there's a video of it), 5/25's is pretty good but not the best of the year. If you want a definitive 75 NQ, listen to 3/21, there's a great matrix of it that sounds awesome. 3/19 and 3/20 are also great versions.

I actually think the best NQ are from 75, but that's just me (username a giveaway lol) 🙃

On 12/18/2021 at 11:08 AM, pujols05 said:

1975 versions for me, with 5-24 at the top. 

Other standouts are 2-10, 2-12, 2-14, 2-16, 2-28, 3-5, 3-11, 3-19, 3-24, 3-25,  3-27. 

In my opinion, 5/24's NQ is sorely overrated and Page really gets nowhere with the solo, not to help that it's dragged to hell by a lackluster Bonham. As said above, the 17th and 18th are far superior options. 

Landover is an interesting version, as in some places it sounds like its much bigger brother in Philadelphia and others like its drunker little brother in St. Louis. 2/28 and 3/5 are good versions, can't argue there; not too familiar with 3/11's and 3/19's could be one of the GOATs.

The LA ones... yikes. 3/24 is great from Bonham and Jonesy, but Page's drunken rambling kills it (as with most of this show). The 25th is a pretty underrated version, with Jones moving back to the electric piano part-way through. The 27th is a huge missed opportunity, similar to 3/24 but Page clearly has ideas this time that he can't execute.

If you haven't, I'd recommend checking out Bloomington 1/18, Detroit 1/31, NYC 2/7, Philadelphia 2/8, Long Beach 3/12, Vancouver 3/20, and Seattle 3/21. Those, in my opinion, along with 3/19, 5/17, and 5/18, are the serious standout versions from 1975.

Edited by ledzepfilm

2 hours ago, ledzepfilm said:

Landover is an interesting version, as in some places it sounds like its much bigger brother in Philadelphia and others like its drunker little brother in St. Louis

Great metaphor here. Landover's little brother St. Louis is a happy drunk. Never been a big fan of Landover NQ but maybe I should give it another listen.

The 27th is a huge missed opportunity, similar to 3/24 but Page clearly has ideas this time that he can't execute.

I've always felt this way about the 27th, nicely put. Pagey is clearly 'feelin hisself' it 's obvious, but his fingers aren't doing what his brain is asking. But the passion and spirit of the thing can be felt in the performance which is probably why it's so hugely popular among hardcore fans.

If you haven't, I'd recommend checking out Bloomington 1/18, Detroit 1/31, NYC 2/7, Philadelphia 2/8, Long Beach 3/12, Vancouver 3/20, and Seattle 3/21. Those, in my opinion, along with 3/19, 5/17, and 5/18, are the serious standout versions from 1975.

Nice to see 2/7 NQ get some love on here from someone other than myself lol. 

A personal favorite of mine is Mobile 73. It's only one of two versions on recording in which Page doesn't use the wah effect for most of the song and is played flawlessly throughout.

For 75 I'd go 2/8, 3/12, 3/19, 3/20, 3/21, and 5/18.

Edited by gibsonfan159