ROBERT PLANT - PLANT: 'LED ZEPPELIN ISN'T MY PRIORITY'

Cat

Veteran rocker ROBERT PLANT has cast further doubt on a LED ZEPPELIN reunion tour, because he's not ready to pledge his full commitment to the group. Plant joined his fellow bandmates for a one-off tribute concert in London last December (07) and fans have been waiting for what they feel is an inevitable world tour announcement ever since. And while guitarist Jimmy Page has vowed to consider a tour after Plant concludes his string of live dates with new musical partner Alison Krauss, the singer admits going on the road with the legendary band is not one of his top priorities. He says, "I really enjoyed playing with my friends, and we are a lot closer because of it. But the responsibility, the whole deal…it's a whole different thing to what I'm doing with Alison."

Give him a chance to finish off his tour with Alison without the pressure of a LED ZEPPELIN WORLD TOUR (which Jimmy has done), which would completely overshadow his current project and mean that every bit of press he does will be about LED ZEPPELIN WORLD TOUR and not Plant & Krauss.

Then in September, or whenever that is finished, lets see what comes about?

This "will they, won't they" business is even worse than any long drawn out "will they, won't they" in the history of television sitcoms. :P

I respect whatever Robert decides to do, but if he says no I hope the other three do something and call it something else because I really want to see Jonesy and Jimmy rocking out. Who wouldn't?!

Agree with this. He will wake up when this tour is over and realize who he is. Jimmy will get him motivated. Sorry to you fans of this Raising Sands. It just doesnt compare to Led Zeppelin material. I cant get excited about it. I liked Roberts solo albums, and I think this lady is fantastic, dont get me wrong. But how can I get excited about this stuff compared to Led Zeppelin??

I don't listen to Raising Sand and compare it to Zep. To me it's apples and oranges. It's okay not to like it because you don't care for the record, but seems a bit unfair to say you don't like it simply because it's not Zep. Ah well. Each to his own.

I dont hate it. Dont get me wrong. Its just difficult for me to know what Robert is capable of and seeing him do this thing that I dont understand. Im glad that he and Allison are doing well and having a good time. But I am the consumer. And I have my selfish reasons, which is being a Led Zeppelin die hard fan for life. How can i get into this other type of music. ive tried but It doesnt do to me what Zeppelin music did. I wish them the best, but also hope that Zepp will tour when its over.

Just curious, what if they toured with new material? or maybe did a mix of old and new?

I don't care for Raising Sand either. It has nothing to do with Zeppelin though. It just not my kind of music.

i do like allison, and the music,but when i watched crossroads last night on cmt, plant seamed like he wanted to just get into the music like he did with zep, but was restricted because of the stiffness of the whole thing. so he still has it in him to rock!!!!! we will just have to be patient.

the interview is 2 months old...... I guess some in the media /can/ keep their mouth shut for more than 2 minutes

http://www.nme.com/news/nme/34301

Led Zeppelin’s lead singer, Robert Plant, has spoken out for the first time about his experience at the band’s O2 reunion gig last year (December 10).

The ‘Golden God’ - in a just published interview - said they were just as good on the night as they were in their prime.

Speaking to Esquire Magazine the morning after the show (December 11) Plant said: “It was ramshackle, casual, nervous, overblown, a little self-indulgent – it was all the things we ever were. We were the genuine thing last night.”

He added: “We’re not some ambivalent dross that pours into the charts by being some sort of valium for the middle-aged. It was a very decent and exciting visitation.”

Revealing further details about the event Plant admitted he did not warm up before gig saying: “We did two songs at a soundcheck the day before, and they were pretty hot. But yesterday [December 10] I had to keep very, very quiet. I didn’t want to talk. I just lay in a dark room playing my little ukulele, going: “If I was in Mali, it wouldn’t be like this.”

After the gig Plant had only one thing on his mind, grabbing a drink.

The singer said: “I was trying to find the special brew. My children are always embarrassed when I get on the Tenant’s Super, and the other guys, well none of them drink. So I just had a drink, gave everybody big hugs, saw my family, took in a bit of, I guess, nostalgia.”

Plant also revealed that the whole evening seemed like a bit of a blur saying: “In the middle of all that effort, there were so many little flashbacks that I didn’t expect. I couldn’t put a form to a lot of it: it was just there. I thought: this is really cute, all these fucking old blokes huddled round John’s [bonham] son.”

Concluding the interview Plant remained adamant that a world tour would not happen saying he wanted to concentrate on his project with Alison Kraus.

He said: “I really enjoyed playing with my friends [Led Zeppelin], and we are a lot closer because of it. But the responsibility, the whole deal…it’s a whole different thing to what I’m doing with Alison.”

Plant then continued adding: “I was singing the same, better, last night. I could go to certain places. But with Alison, it’s not about that. It’s about being comely. That’s where I’m bound.”

Agree with this. He will wake up when this tour is over and realize who he is. Jimmy will get him motivated. Sorry to you fans of this Raising Sands. It just doesnt compare to Led Zeppelin material. I cant get excited about it. I liked Roberts solo albums, and I think this lady is fantastic, dont get me wrong. But how can I get excited about this stuff compared to Led Zeppelin??

First, I think Robert is well aware of who he is. :) And I don't think he needs Jimmy to get motivated for whatever upcoming project he has interest in , whether it be solo, with AK, SS or LZ.

And do you think it's fair to compare his work with Alison to Led Zeppelin? Two different types of material which stand on their own. :)

Well, his latest project may not be your cup of tea but as they say to each his own. :)

I'll get hung for saying this, but I think I'd rather see a new Strange Sensation album than a Zep tour... Zep music does get a bit old after a while and even I need something new, plus I wouldn't have a chance in hell of seeing Zep if they toured anyway... Raising Sand was cool, it's not what I usually listen to and I think that's partly why I liked it, it's something new. I think Plant is weary of playing a Zep tour because he'll be even more constricted playing with Zep than he ever was. if you thought the fans might get mad if they didn't play Stairway in the 70's, I can only imagine what they'd do if they didn't get their dose of the "Greatest Hits" on the first tour in 28 years. god forbid they don't play Rock And Roll or Black Dog or (gasp!) Stairway on the tour, they'd go bonkers. if Plant hates Stairway because he had to play it at every show after it was written, then what's he going to think of the Zep catalog after he's had to play Mothership every night for an entire tour?

I'll get hung for saying this, but I think I'd rather see a new Strange Sensation album than a Zep tour... Zep music does get a bit old after a while and even I need something new, plus I wouldn't have a chance in hell of seeing Zep if they toured anyway... Raising Sand was cool, it's not what I usually listen to and I think that's partly why I liked it, it's something new. I think Plant is weary of playing a Zep tour because he'll be even more constricted playing with Zep than he ever was. if you thought the fans might get mad if they didn't play Stairway in the 70's, I can only imagine what they'd do if they didn't get their dose of the "Greatest Hits" on the first tour in 28 years. god forbid they don't play Rock And Roll or Black Dog or (gasp!) Stairway on the tour, they'd go bonkers. if Plant hates Stairway because he had to play it at every show after it was written, then what's he going to think of the Zep catalog after he's had to play Mothership every night for an entire tour?

IMO...thats true....its easy to get burned out on the same old thing. Same songs year after year...it would get tiresome. Everybody needs something new once in a while to fuel their passions.

Obviously none of us can see what's in his mind but I don't think he's keen on the idea of touring with Zep - 'touring' being the operative word here.

A few isolated gigs here and there, sure, but a fully-fledged Zeppelin tour would be a completely different ballgame to touring with Allison or the Strange Sensation and he knows it. I'm just not convinced he'll want to revisit all that at this point of his life, but I can't see him ruling out the odd concert either.

I dont hate it. Dont get me wrong. Its just difficult for me to know what Robert is capable of and seeing him do this thing that I dont understand. Im glad that he and Allison are doing well and having a good time. But I am the consumer. And I have my selfish reasons, which is being a Led Zeppelin die hard fan for life. How can i get into this other type of music. ive tried but It doesnt do to me what Zeppelin music did. I wish them the best, but also hope that Zepp will tour when its over.

I see projects like Raising Sand as actually showing what Robert is capable of. Regardless of whether it's your cuppa tea or not, the fact that he put himself in an area musically he hadn't really explored and learned to sing harmonies and put his voice out there in a different capacity shows great talent.

I love Zep too. They were a band like no other. But that doesn't mean for me there's no other music out there worth listening to. I love hearing all sorts of music and I'm quite open to listening to pretty much anything. May not love it all but I try to keep an open mind because i've actually discovered some great artists that I didn't ever think I'd be into.

I'll get hung for saying this, but I think I'd rather see a new Strange Sensation album than a Zep tour...

And this is more a reasonable and realistic a thing to expect! I look into my crystal ball (wonky as it may be) and see Robert going from Raising Sand to another project new and different, as has been his way, and hopefully Jimmy taking that pot of solo ideas off the back burner and getting to it! That was afterall what he said awhile back, and nothing points elsewhere. I've heard rumors he's been in contact with Jeff Beck. Maybe a guest spot? I'm excited all around that they're still passionate about making music. C'mon Jonesy, what follows Thunderthief? We love it all! Bring it!!! :beer:

Enjoy Robert enjoy ! He is having so much fun with the bluegrass music and has once again evolved and shown us what an artist he is. THIS IS a Zeppelin site and forum I do understand, BUT the guys are all individuals with talent and have been able to grow and expand their interests outside of Zeppelin. Sure we all love the music from the best Rock band to emerge from the English scene in the late 60's and the possibility of seeing them preform together is very cool and YES I would be there, BUT likewise I will be going to Chatt Tenn to see Roberts gig with Ms Krauss. I love the sound of the harmonies on the Rising Sand CD and although I am not really a bluegrass fan, this CD is hauntingly beautiful. 2721774640015404884XQgfzx_th.jpg

.........why should his old band be his priority ?

1) he's far too old to play and revisit music from his led zep days, and has too much aritistic intergrity to do this even if he was younger.

2) why should he revisit those years with so many happy memories, yet at the same time, visit a period in his life where he almost lost his wife, lost his beloved son and his best friend.

he'll never go back, get used to it folks...perhaps the one or two gigs here and there, if your lucky...

And this is more a reasonable and realistic a thing to expect! I look into my crystal ball (wonky as it may be) and see Robert going from Raising Sand to another project new and different, as has been his way, and hopefully Jimmy taking that pot of solo ideas off the back burner and getting to it! That was afterall what he said awhile back, and nothing points elsewhere. I've heard rumors he's been in contact with Jeff Beck. Maybe a guest spot? I'm excited all around that they're still passionate about making music. C'mon Jonesy, what follows Thunderthief? We love it all! Bring it!!! :beer:

I agree! I really want to see a Jimmy solo thing more than anything else.

Ah, bugger the whole Allison Kraut thing and just get on with Zep. JPJ knows it, Page knows it, that Zeppelin is it, that's what they'll all be remembered for, and rightly so, so why not have a full-fledged flashback? Now is the perfect time to do it before they get too old. We don't really want to see them up there at 75 stumbling around.

I went and saw Burt Bacharach when he came to Australia recently, and he only played for about 80 minutes, because he's too old and tired now to do a full set. They just pissed through all his big hits in 2 big medleys. Before you'd finished singing along to I Say A Little Prayer For You, they were already on to Do You Know The Way To San José

Archived