WATCHES

ledsabbath

Well, we've had threads on underwear and flatulence. Oops, that last one was me. Anyhoo, what watch or watches does everyone have?

I've had a few watches over the years. But I'll describe my 2 best ones. About 15 years ago, I was looking to buy a nice watch, and I looked at heaps. I had decided on this sporty titanium PULSAR watch which caught my eye. It was $500 back then.

And then as I casually was looking in another jewellery store, my eye caught this beautiful LONGINES watch. It was two tone with a dark blue face. I enquired in the store, and the salesperson said that this particular watch was a break from tradition for this watch company, as LONGINES was traditionally an older men and womens' brand. The watch I saw was the first sporty watch aimed at young people. I had to wait to save a little more money. It was $1150 and I finally found a store that would sell it for $850 cash. But to me, it was worth the wait.

I still have it 15 years later, and it's now my work watch. Btw, the gold on it hasn't tarnished one tiny little bit. That's the difference between those Swiss brands and other brands. I've had other watches such as CITIZEN and SEIKO, and not knocking those, but the gold always blisters and tarnishes after a few years.

And last year, my darling wife bought me this really beautiful RAYMOND WEIL watch as a graduation gift for finishing university. She saved for it, (secretly) whilst I was in uni, and we went watch hunting in Sydney, Australia. It's a mechanical watch, and I don't wear it to work. I bought off ebay a watch winder so that I don't have to worry about it running down on power. Here is this watch:

2843_st_00608_163_280.jpg

I've always been fascinated with mechanical watches. They are an absolute mechanical, engineering and artistic marvel. So much complexity and ingenuity to create with all those incredibly miniature working pieces. Even more amazing when you think that watches like this were able to be created literally centuries ago. I particularly marvel at the skill watchmakers in those days were able to create something with so many tiny pieces. It's one thing today with modern industry and computerisation. It's another thing 2 centuries ago.

When I was a kid, I had one of those first red LED watches. I'll never forget I was walking along my home street with my friend and we passed this guy who had a watch with an opaque black face. We were both amazed, and we went up to him and asked him to show us his watch. He brought his wrist closer to our face, and then he pressed a button on the side of the watch. And presto!! The time in bright LED flashed up. You'd think we had seen a space shuttle take off. You have to remember we were kids and this was the introduction in the world of electronic watches. Nobody had seen these before.

Now I'm really showing my age. I remember too when the world's first cars were introduced................................Just kidding.

I also remember going to a fair once, and I bought this CITIZEN watch, which I had in my last few years of school. I thought it was the bees knees, as it had a backlight, stopwatch and all that type of thing. In about year 8 for me, there this guy who had one of those watches with a calculator function on it. I think his Auntie bought it for him as a gift. We all thought that was pretty cool. I remember one guy asking him how much it cost, and I think he said $200 back then, so that's something like 20 years ago.

Oh well, that's enough of me blabbing on watches. What watches did you have/have got now?

I'm not into jewellery at all, but I do love watches, probably because they're functional! I don't really "do" frippery, purely ornamental stuff, I'm much more the practical type. Anyway, I recently got a new watch, as my long service award from the company I work for (unbelievably, I've worked there for 20 years).

I really like it, it's a Longines:Mynewwatch.jpg

Mattmc1973 and Lilith, those are really nice watches. How funny, the same brands also that I have. I've got to say that in this day and age, Mattmc1973, to work in the same place for 20 years is an impressive feat! Out of curiosity, what did you do?

Wow, shock of shock. A couple of others with Raymond Weil watches. I treated myself and paid $1,000.00 for a 50th birthday birthday present. No other jewelry on me other than the watch and my wedding band.

Mine is similar to this, expect the face is an off-white.

5569-MC-00300_lv.jpg

I've always liked pocket watches.

6151C.jpg

B)

Brutha: 'Say man, you wanna buy a watch? Cause if you had a watch you'd know that it's night time, and night time ain't no time to be in this here neighborhood.'

Stoner dude: 'Uhh, no man, I'm not into time.'

:D

I have a gold one that has a mother of pearl face with little gemstones around the face and the face is in the shape of a heart.

I also have a silver one that has a pink face and is a tilted heart and the 12 is a diamond.

Both of them are dead, but it's okay because I don't wear watches.

I've never worn a watch. There are so many clocks and timepieces just about anywhere you go, there's no need to have one.

If it's sunny, I see where it is in the sky and can make a reasonable guess. Same with a clear night, the moon or the position of the stars are great timekeepers. Rarely do I have to be so precise that I need to know exactly anyway.

It's daytime, or it's nightime. What more do you need to know?

Wow; you guys have some really nice watches! I am between watches; mine broke and I haven't replaced it yet. I occasionally wear my gym watch to work or when running errands if I really need one that day.

Wow; you guys have some really nice watches! I am between watches; mine broke and I haven't replaced it yet. I occasionally wear my gym watch to work or when running errands if I really need one that day.

I really love watches. You don't have to spend a lot of money. Fossils are nice as demonstrated by Miss Honeydripper above.

I don't wear a watch anymore. I use my cell phone if I need to check the time. I found it was highly irritating when you're typing and it's clanking against the desk/table. That and I can't ever find one that fits. They're either so loose they are up on my forearm, or they're so tight they leave horrible marks.

I wouldn't wear a watch for years. hated the idea of something on my wrist. But I have been wearing a Timex Ironman Shock watch foever. I have had two. Once went through my begining time in the Army all throughout Iraq. I threw it away because it was so beat up, and the light was fading, but it still worked. That thing went through hell. I promptly bought another one. This watch is bulletproof.

My dad buys me one or more watches for every occasion.

I wouldn't mind, I like watches, but the thing is, my dad is an ignorant man who thinks he knows me and my style, but gets it so badly wrong.

They're usually like, little dainty girly things that are nice, but they're just not me, and they don't go with anything I own. Y'know?

Therefore every birthday I have to open yet another watch that I don't like and have to go through the "try not to hurt his feelings" acceptance speech.

I mean, I know this sounds really nasty, and I do appreciate that he's taken the time to buy me a birthday/Christmas present or whatever, but seriously...so many watches... :wacko:

My mum said he always used to buy her watches when they were together, too. He must have a real thing about it.

Anyway, a while ago he did actually hit the jackpot and got me a watch I liked. It was like, a big round face with a thick white [faux] leather strap. It was actually really nice. I started wearing it all the time but before long, bits of it started breaking and not long ago the battery (I assumed) went, so dad put a new one in, and that went in about a day. My conclusion is that the watch is fucked. Probably because dad bought it off bidup.tv like most of his other purchases. :)

Now I just wear my friend's watch (that she doesn't wear) which is a square-faced Punkyfish one with a black leather strap and big silver buckles with pink thread.

pocketwatchdy8.jpg

I have this Elgin pocketwatch from the late 1880's. Belonged to my Great Grandfather. It still works too, once you wind it. It's kind of cool listening to the tick-tock of a real watch.

I don't wear a watch anymore, but I went thru about 5 Timex ironmans. Kind of liked having the stopwatch.

Archived