The First Time You Paid For It

rafnagud9

K, well, I’ve looked through more than a few pages on the site and saw threads for fav albums, and various comments on great recordings, and so forth, but it’s possible this thread may duplicate some thoughts, so I’ll try to make it more specific… the idea is to recall and share the experience of buying your first album (or CD), as in with your own money (not a gift) and what it meant to you (that sort of thing).

Hmm… this dates me, but I was ten years old in 1976 and living here in Houston. There was a place (still here) called The Post Oak Pharmacy. Back then it was one of the last of the old time joints where you could walk in to pick up your Rx or sit for a meal (talk about old school). In the back they had a box full of LPs and one day I walked in and for some reason was drawn to the back, to the box. One particular album cover caught my attention and I bought it (with my allowance). Took it home and was mesmerized (played it again & again & again on a piece-of-crap turntable, hey, I was ten). Must say that the material holds up remarkably well to this day. Just sharing.

180px-BostonBoston.jpg

I think my first album was around the same time, back in the mid 70's. It was the Monkee's Greatest hits. Loved it. Then again I was young, although they had several catchy pop songs and a ridiculous TV show that was quite funny.

Monkees_Greatest.JPG

The first album I ever bought with my own money was Ozzy's "The Ultimate Sin" in 1986. Whenever I listen to that album it brings back memories of my youth, that's for sure. I'm pretty sure I also bought Def Leppard's "Pyromania" the same day even though it came out in 1983.

Difficult question, because my dad has nearly all albums I need, and if I asked him, he'd buy nearly everything for me, but during my first love-and-peace period, I went to the second hand shop and bought a Bob Marley CD for 7 Euros. I felt so proud, not only because the shop was so cool and it was summer and I felt so adult, but also because I had found a kind of music my dad didn't like...

I bought them all on the same day when I was 13 almost three years ago on my birthday, I know thats a long time but my parents had a lot of cds, records, and cassetes and I would just listen to them or had somebody buy them for me. So I went into the store and as I was just really getting into music I listened to new music and decided it was crap and not worth the money to buy an albums worth so I picked up Led Zeppelin ZoSo/1, Van Halen, and Yellow submarine. Soon after when I realized I was skipping songs from Van Halen and The Beatles but I wasn't doing that with Led Zeppelin albums I thought wow there really good...and so it begins.

Archived