Natasha Richardson Dies From Head Injury

ninelives

Very sad. Hopefully this will further convince people that any time you sustain any kind of head injury, even if you don't feel bad, to seek medical attention immediately. No other family should have suffer like this.

By all accounts she was a class lady. My thoughts and prayers are with Liam and their two boys.

Very sad. Hopefully this will further convince people that any time you sustain any kind of head injury, even if you don't feel bad, to seek medical attention immediately. No other family should have suffer like this.

By all accounts she was a class lady. My thoughts and prayers are with Liam and their two boys.

As cold as it may sound, I don't usually feel much emotion at the death of a celebrity, but I really had to struggle to not cry when I heard that Liam held her hand and stroked her face throughout the entire flight from Canada to New York.

I can't imagine how devastated her family must be feeling.

How very sad. RIP.

What a talent. She certainly held her own in a family of stage and screen giants.

Any skiers know what an 'average' fall on the slopes means? I mean she was coherent just after her fall, then vomiting with a splitting headache an hour later. Can't help but wonder whether the range of ordinary is different in a sport where tumbles are frequent. Several reports claim that she didn't hit anyone or anything (implying it was no big deal?), and yet her instructor and a ski patrol member accompanied her down the slopes and then one of them continued to stay with her. It's just so hard to believe, both that the incident seemed so ordinary and that she is so suddenly gone.

Condolences to her family in a very difficult time.

NYT a nice article

This is so sad.

And not just because she was a celebrity.

But because she was a wife and mother and in the prime of her life, so much to live for.

And how a split second can change your life/end your life. It is so unexpected and tragic.

Just goes to show that you should make the most of every day. You may not be here tomorrow.

:(

She was such a great actress. Broadway was where she really excelled. Such a freak accident. She seemed fine and then...You never know. Appreciate every living moment. My prayers go out to her family. She certainly will be missed.

Freaky indeed. From what I heard on Larry King, they are not positive on what went wrong.

An autopsy will be needed to see if it could have been from a pre-existing condition. Since she was on the bunny slope, and didn't "hit" something, they are not 100% sure it was merely a fall.

Very sad for her family.

This is such a sad story. Natasha was a wonderful actress and this loss is so senseless. So many loved ones left behind... i feel so bad for her family. May sound corny, but i loved her in "The Parent Trap" with Lindsay Lohan.

Terrible news.

How very sad. RIP.

What a talent. She certainly held her own in a family of stage and screen giants.

Any skiers know what an 'average' fall on the slopes means? I mean she was coherent just after her fall, then vomiting with a splitting headache an hour later. Can't help but wonder whether the range of ordinary is different in a sport where tumbles are frequent. Several reports claim that she didn't hit anyone or anything (implying it was no big deal?), and yet her instructor and a ski patrol member accompanied her down the slopes and then one of them continued to stay with her. It's just so hard to believe, both that the incident seemed so ordinary and that she is so suddenly gone.

Condolences to her family in a very difficult time.

NYT a nice article

All it takes is a ruptured blood vessel to cause swelling to the brain. It's most likely this is what happened. Typically, a person doesn't feel any affects of the rupture until an hour or two after the head trauma when common symptoms such as disorientation, dizziness, nausea and headaches set in. Doctors will also scan the eyes for disorientation and they can become glazed over from the swelling. The prognosis for someone with this type of injury is very hard to determine. Even if she had been in the right medical care immediately, there's no guarantee they would have been able to stop the swelling.

It's a very sad story.

Very sorry to hear about the sad passing of Natasha Richardson. What was thought to have been an innocent fall has turned into a devestating loss for her family. My sincere condolences to all

RIP Natasha, condolences to her loved ones. It is indeed tragic.

I read the updated article... the autopsy said she died from an epidural hematoma. Those can develop very quickly and with disastrous results. Generally, but not always, a subdural hematoma develops more slowly ( hours to days or weeks) while epidural ones are pretty rapid (minutes to hours). With either, the person may briefly lose conciousness, but then be lucid for a bit, and 'feel fine' briefly. The bad headache and vomiting are real typical of brain swelling. What is really tragic about this is that paramedics were called and responded but then sent away. Depending on the severity of the injury, that delay may not have made any difference... but maybe it would have.

The article also stated that there is some discussion going on whether or not to require skiers to wear helmets. I don't ski so I don't know the pros and cons of helmets specific to skiing (except that skiers in any ski events shown on tv always had helmets on}. I do hope that lawmakers consider things carefully and support whatever the best answer is, and don't hurriedly pass a poorly written law.

Meanwhile, sympathy for her loved ones, and I was glad to see that a lot of theaters are going to dim their marquees briefly at a specific time in memory of her. That sounds awesome.

The article also stated that there is some discussion going on whether or not to require skiers to wear helmets. I don't ski so I don't know the pros and cons of helmets specific to skiing (except that skiers in any ski events shown on tv always had helmets on}. I do hope that lawmakers consider things carefully and support whatever the best answer is, and don't hurriedly pass a poorly written law.

A sad story for sure.

I guess I'm lucky when I think about the time I got hit square in the forehead with a brick on a job site. I had a hard hat on but it went right under the bill. I must have a hard ass head.

Archived