Misty Mountain...Flop?

Beijoguy

So I'm watching a video about Led Zeppelin's 4th album, and in it they go over most of the songs from the album. When the segment comes up for Misty Mountain Hop, one of the hosts describes the song as "cheesy" & "a track many fans will skip".

Is this true? Is that what many long-time (or even short-time) fans think?

I happen to think it is a great song; probably my 1st or 2nd favorite from the album. I remember it had an immediate impact on me...I thought it rocked, as well as grooved big time!

Comments or opinions?

So I'm watching a video about Led Zeppelin's 4th album, and in it they go over most of the songs from the album. When the segment comes up for Misty Mountain Hop, one of the hosts describes the songs as "cheesy" & "a track many fans will skip".

Is this true? Is that what many long-time (or even short-time) fans think?

I happen to think it is a great song; probably my 1st or 2nd favorite from the album. I remember it had an immediate impact on me...I thought it rocked, as well as grooved big time!

Comments or opinions?

Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one and most of 'em stink. That said, I know of at least one person who's not a fan of this song. They don't particularly care for Plant's style of delivery. I could see where it might be a bit grating but it's never stopped my enjoyment of the song.

I personally love that track!!! :D I feel like dancing and singing along to it everytime I hear it! It is such a fun song if you ask me! :wub: It may shock some but as far as the album Led Zeppelin IV is concerned, after "When The Levee Breaks", "Stairway To Heaven" and "Black Dog", "Misty Mountain Hop" is my next favourite track!!! Love it! B)

For me. I like the studio version better than the live. I don't know why it losess its power live for me. When you look at what they can do with songs like No Quarter/Dazed, its surprising, that they do MMH justice live.

I enjoy the song, but I guess if i had to pick the weak track on IV (if that's even possible) I would have to go with this song. Now, given that, I still listen to it and enjoy it every time it comes on.

One guys opinion on the song won't change mine.

Probably the "Living, Loving Maid" of the album. But I like it and never turn it off when it's on the radidio.

What I've read of some interviews of the past, some years ago, that "Living Loving Maid" was a leftover. I don't think it was real popular amongst those in the band. Although, Robert performed it during one of his solo tours. I think it was during the fall tour of "Manic Nirvana" in 1990.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the song is one of the highlights of the album. Love the way it just stomps along in a happy manner right after Stairway. My girlfriend (who wasn't a big Zeppelin fan before she met me) absolutely loves the song.

For me the two 'weakest' songs on the album (even though they aren't weak at all) would be Four Sticks and Battle of Evermore.

Misty Mountain Hop works very well in Almost Famous too when it is played briefly.

I personally feel Misty Mountain Hop is a 'great' little song and one of Bonzo's best performances. That's what makes the song a killer one for me. Bonzo.

I like the song..it's got a solid groove and steady bass line along with some of Bonzo's best fills. It's got a great room sound. As far as the vocals, I never once thought they were anything less than good. It's a hippy song, so in that respect it's dated, but it reminds you of a certain time and place...so I think it's cool.

I don't think Misty Mountain Hop sounds anymore 'dated' than, say, Dazed and Confused or Immigrant Song. In fact I think it sounds fresher.

Whenever I have played Zep songs like this to people who don't know them they have no idea the songs are 40 years old.

I love the song! To me, it sounds like a party was going on while they were recording it. I do agree that Zep didn't do much with it live, but it was really fantastic at Knebworth '90 when P/P played it and it was also the best song the night of the Atlantic Records reunion set IMO. Not bad the night of the O2 arena show either! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I think it s a perfect opener to side 2 of the record, I years ago always thought side 2 was the weaker of the sides, but over the years I think its neck and neck..All the songs on their fourth are great in some way.

Everyone has an opinion a and its easy to dismiss and overlook but to say you skip it is wrong, on Four you listen to every song, its a complete package.

Archived