RIP - Howard Mylett

• Administrators

I received very sad news that Zep author and friend, Howard Mylett, passed away last night at his home. Those who knew him personally were aware he had been in poor health for some time, but his passion for Led Zeppelin remained strong. He always shared this passion with tremendous generosity and kindness and was a great influence on me and I'm sure to many others as well. Will miss you Howard.

brighton76.jpg

post-5-0-08554300-1308479330_thumb.jpg post-5-0-46193600-1308479014_thumb.jpg post-5-0-78591600-1308479019_thumb.jpgpost-5-0-33945000-1308479017_thumb.jpgpost-5-0-26750800-1308479016_thumb.jpg post-5-0-80036100-1308479018_thumb.jpg post-5-0-25423100-1308479015_thumb.jpg post-5-0-12717600-1308479018_thumb.jpg

I am sad to learn of the loss of your friend, Sam. My condolences. The first thing I read by him was the Jimmy Page book, Tangents, in the 1980's. It was a well-organized collection of quotes from Jimmy with many great photos. It was quite useful at the time and an absolute joy to read - I loved it, and later got all his other books on Led Zeppelin, including the early paperback. His work will be remembered. Rest in peace.

Howard Mylett, a gifted author and a terrific friend, a man of great humility who offered boundless goodwill towards all whom he encountered, particularly those that shared his life-long enthusiasm for Led Zeppelin. It was truly a pleasure for me to visit with him and his lovely wife Anita at their home, where she would prepare a delicious dinner and discussions with Howard about the band would literally go until sunrise. I shall remember him in years to come as a kind, caring and sharing sage. Indeed, he'd become a genuine father figure for me; I'm glad to have told him so along the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb6pJlrS9DA

...So sorry to hear loss of this celebrated author.......

....beautiful friendships build on Foundation of Beautiful Music...condolences to Sam, SAJ and to all who knew him......

...looking forward to exploring his work, I first learned about this author on this very Forum....

Sorry to hear about your loss Sam.

He contributed significantly to the Led Zeppelin community and he will be so missed. I enjoyed a lot of his work particularly "Tangents Within A Framework". RIP Howard.

First off, let me just say to Sam and Steve and Howard's family that I offer and send you my deepest, sincerest condolences. This goes beyond Zeppelin, for more than losing a fellow Zephead, you have lost a friend, a family member. You've lost a good man and my heart goes out to you in this time of pain and suffering.

I spent all day yesterday still saddened by the news of Clarence Clemons passing, and busy with Father's Day activities, so I didn't even find out about Mr. Mylett's death until just now.

For a long-time Led Zeppelin fan, it is a heavy blow...it almost is like losing a friend or family member. And Zeppelin fans of all ages should mourn one of the original "Keepers of the Flame", a man who lit the torch for Zeppelin in the darkest of times.

For though it may not seem like it in these times of multiple Led Zeppelin book releases( there have been at least 5 in the last 2 years), there was a time when Led Zeppelin was persona non grata in the publishing world. And if there was to be a Mount Rushmore for the 4 men most responsible for keeping Led Zeppelin fans fed during this famine, the 4 faces on that mountain would have to be Ritchie Yorke, Paul Kendall, Dave Lewis and Howard Mylett.

It was these 4 men who wrote the first, groundbreaking books on Led Zeppelin, years before it became fashionable or profitable. They did the early, hard work, the dirty work needed in the days pre-internet when you had to go far and wide to find verifiable information. They did the leg-work.

Consider it wasn't until 1973, nearly 5 years into their existence, that the first Led Zeppelin bio was published...Ritchie Yorke's. In Oasis' first couple years it seemed like there were 5 books in the first year alone. Those were the dark ages us oldtimers lived in, when we were starved for any scrap of information.

After Yorke's biography came Howard Mylett's "Led Zeppelin" in 1976, published in the UK, so it could be hard to find sometimes in the U.S.

And for a long time THAT was it. Yorke and Mylett were the only two Zeppelin books until Bonham's death and the cessation of the band brought about a wave of books, chief among them Mylett's "In the Light", Paul Kendall's "LED ZEPPELIN: A Visual Documentary", and Paul Kendall and Dave Lewis' "LZ: In Their Own Words". Dave Lewis also had his Tight but Loose fan letter, as did Hugh Jones with Proximity.

In 1983 or 84, Mylett added the first Jimmy Page-centric book to the Zeppelin Canon, "Jimmy Page: Tangents Within A Framework".

Later, in 1985, the overwhelming success of "Hammer of the Gods" opened the floodgates and it became easier to sell publishers on the idea of a Led Zeppelin book. Too easy in some cases...a deluge of Zeppelin books ensued, some good, some terrible. And it continues to this day.

But it should never be forgotten that it was Howard Mylett, Ritchie Yorke, Paul Kendall and Dave Lewis who were there first, when it was least fashionable. And it is their books that are the FOUNDATION of any fan's Led Zeppelin library.

Goodbye Howard Mylett. Thank you. May you Rest in Peace. May you forever be "In the Light".

Very sorry to hear that Howard has passed away, his book "Led Zeppelin" was a great read and very informative.

As other members have already pointed out he wrote in time when books on Zeppelin were rare, very rare.

Archived