The Vaccine for Covid is coming fast

LedZeppfan1977

21 hours ago, kipper said:

Hawaii has a very low population.... very low. It is much easier to manage a problem where there are low numbers. In Califorinia there are more homeless people just in Los Angeles county living along the freeways, than probably the population of Hawaii.

This isn't about treating people like humans, so they will act like humans. Drug addicts do not act like humans, not when their entire life is about getting their next fix. You can't be "nice" to them and cure them, it doesn't work that way with addicts of that level.

Understandable, however the majority, and I mean the vast majority of homeless are so due to mental illness or basic poverty without familial support and not drug addiction. COVID has only made the situation worse and no one in this country who is doing the right thing, working hard, spending conservatively should ever be living paycheck to paycheck yet that is exactly the situation for around 60% of the American population. So what that means is 60% of the population can literally become homeless with the loss of a job. That is absolutely insane in the wealthiest country in the world.

That is the real issue, the cost of living just keeps going up while wages have stagnated since the early 80's. Our whole system is corrupt and badly broken and eventually, the center will not hold.

Edited by BobDobbs

On 7/29/2021 at 4:36 PM, BobDobbs said:

Understandable, however the majority, and I mean the vast majority of homeless are so due to mental illness or basic poverty without familial support and not drug addiction. COVID has only made the situation worse and no one in this country who is doing the right thing, working hard, spending conservatively should ever be living paycheck to paycheck yet that is exactly the situation for around 60% of the American population. So what that means is 60% of the population can literally become homeless with the loss of a job. That is absolutely insane in the wealthiest country in the world.

That is the real issue, the cost of living just keeps going up while wages have stagnated since the early 80's. Our whole system is corrupt and badly broken and eventually, the center will not hold.

Not sure how covid created more homelessness. In California the damn state stepped in and has paid everyone's rent for a year. Zero evictions basically, I don't know how landlords survive?

I believe that most people's problems are due to poor choices in life. I've always lived within my means, and never had a problem.

9 hours ago, kipper said:

Not sure how covid created more homelessness. In California the damn state stepped in and has paid everyone's rent for a year. Zero evictions basically, I don't know how landlords survive?

I believe that most people's problems are due to poor choices in life. I've always lived within my means, and never had a problem.

I used to feel the same way until I travelled extensively, talked to people all over and heard their stories. Most people have no clue how it is nearly impossible in the US to climb out of poverty. Most people in the US are also not aware that it is also near impossible to move from the middle-class to the upper-middle class much less wealthy. Currently, the US ranks 20th in the world for upward mobility which is insane and just shows how badly the system is rigged in favor of those with money.

14 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

I used to feel the same way until I travelled extensively, talked to people all over and heard their stories. Most people have no clue how it is nearly impossible in the US to climb out of poverty. Most people in the US are also not aware that it is also near impossible to move from the middle-class to the upper-middle class much less wealthy. Currently, the US ranks 20th in the world for upward mobility which is insane and just shows how badly the system is rigged in favor of those with money.

Of course the numbers aren't great in the US in terms of upward mobility INSIDE the USA. But that is due to OPEN BORDERS my friend, all those really poor uneducated people pulling the numbers down. However, another way to look at that, is how much better off are they here, than where they came from? So, comparing those levels; with places like Honduras, Guatemala, and Nicaragua as the base level, isn't that really some huge leap in upward mobility, at least for them?

Open borders and unchecked immigration also has a hand in driving down wages, and the WORST affected by that, are poor African-Americans in the inner cities.

15 hours ago, kipper said:

Of course the numbers aren't great in the US in terms of upward mobility INSIDE the USA. But that is due to OPEN BORDERS my friend, all those really poor uneducated people pulling the numbers down. However, another way to look at that, is how much better off are they here, than where they came from? So, comparing those levels; with places like Honduras, Guatemala, and Nicaragua as the base level, isn't that really some huge leap in upward mobility, at least for them?

Open borders and unchecked immigration also has a hand in driving down wages, and the WORST affected by that, are poor African-Americans in the inner cities.

I have to disagree with you as those stats do not reflect illegal immigration and are comparisons from country to country. Further, if the wages are affected in any way by this that is a clear and obvious sign of serious corruption within the system. A system which is not corrupt would not be affected in any way by a migrant workforce insofar as wages are concerned. Lastly, you really cannot compare third world nations to the US which is a first world developed nation. Especially since it was US policy which turned Honduras, Guatemala, and Nicaragua into third world countries in the first place with our combination of drug policy and using military coups to remove rightfully elected officials.

and what is with the open borders? The US does not and never has had open borders. When was the last time you traveled from Mexico to the US? Last time I went from Tijuana to San Diego I waited three hours to get through and if I did not have my passport, my backside would have been climbing that wall amigo 🙂 

Ps. Just for laughs, show any Millennial the Genesis video for Illegal Alien. I will give you $20 if they don't completely loose their shit and try to cancel you. BTW I love that video and song, its hilarious. 

2 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

So, if there were a breakdown about the recent spike in Co-vid cases here in the States, would the majority of those cases be people who didn't get vaccinated? Just asking.... 

Yep, spot on. Currently around 90% of all COVID patients are un-vaccinated.

I really don't understand the hesitancy here. Vermont has the highest vaccination rate in the nation and the lowest reported COVID infections. Seems pretty obvious to me the vaccines both work and are safe. When I had my two Moderna vaccines the first one was easy, no side affects. The second dose gave me COVID-lite for 24 hours then fit as a fiddle. So far my junk has not fallen off, neither legs or arms have withered, nor has my head exploded. Unfortunately I am getting "system updates" from Microsoft now as they keep messing with the software in the vaccine microchips. I would not mind if my brain was not required to reboot every time this occurs. Oh well 😉 

4 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

So, if there were a breakdown about the recent spike in Co-vid cases here in the States, would the majority of those cases be people who didn't get vaccinated? Just asking.... 

Long story short, yes. 

I guess in the back of my mind, I was worried about another co-vid surge a few months back as States relaxed on their masks mandates & large outdoor gatherings & now things seems to be doing a complete 180.

I didn't want to be right, nor did I think there would be so many who are still reticent about getting the shot...  :unsure:

On 8/1/2021 at 8:06 AM, RainbowElf said:

I'm still not getting the Mark of the Beast, for it is a human number and it's number is 666.

Whatever it is, the propaganda bordering on hysteria surrounding it does not inspire a lot of confidence in it.  

On 8/1/2021 at 5:11 PM, BobDobbs said:

and what is with the open borders? The US does not and never has had open borders. When was the last time you traveled from Mexico to the US? Last time I went from Tijuana to San Diego I waited three hours to get through and if I did not have my passport, my backside would have been climbing that wall amigo  

Dobbo!
Explore a more diverse diet in your news feed.
The borders are as open as a famous Californian's legs who sharked her way up the politcal ladder.

The last time I traveled from Mexico to the U.S. was a time consuming bitch as you say.
Wading across a river appears to be more expedient.
Bobbo, you're a smart dude, but don't downplay the illegals coming into the U.S. wearing Covid on their sleaves welcomed apparently with open arms.
Could be headed to Flagstaff, Glendale, Chandler... quien sabes?

1 hour ago, jabe said:

Dobbo!
Explore a more diverse diet in your news feed.
The borders are as open as a famous Californian's legs who sharked her way up the politcal ladder.

The last time I traveled from Mexico to the U.S. was a time consuming bitch as you say.
Wading across a river appears to be more expedient.
Bobbo, you're a smart dude, but don't downplay the illegals coming into the U.S. wearing Covid on their sleaves welcomed apparently with open arms.
Could be headed to Flagstaff, Glendale, Chandler... quien sabes?

Ok, whatever you say if it makes you happy. BTW, I really don't care if someone has COVID because I am not an idiot and got vaccinated. Only the morons who will not get vaccinated have to worry. IMO its culling the heard of the stupid. Unfortunately its the children of the stupid who will suffer.

BTW, why are you so disrespectful toward women? You seem to have a real problem with that which is both sad and unfortunate.

Open borders, sure, whatever you say chief :hysterical:

Edited by BobDobbs

On 8/1/2021 at 1:30 AM, BobDobbs said:

Counterpoint: Ridiculous! Generally speaking, to "climb out of poverty" in the US entails only three things: graduate High School, get a job, and don't have children out of wedlock. 

I've also noticed people's definition of "the rich" is always someone with more money than them, and they seldom if ever cite high taxes and open borders to explain wage stagnation and diminished upward mobility.

3 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Counterpoint: Ridiculous! Generally speaking, to "climb out of poverty" in the US entails only three things: graduate High School, get a job, and don't have children out of wedlock. 

I've also noticed people's definition of "the rich" is always someone with more money than them, and they seldom if ever cite high taxes and open borders to explain wage stagnation and diminished upward mobility.

Agreed, I like you Steve, you're a smart guy.

9 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Ok, whatever you say if it makes you happy. BTW, I really don't care if someone has COVID because I am not an idiot and got vaccinated. Only the morons who will not get vaccinated have to worry. IMO its culling the heard of the stupid. Unfortunately its the children of the stupid who will suffer.

BTW, why are you so disrespectful toward women? You seem to have a real problem with that which is both sad and unfortunate.

Open borders, sure, whatever you say chief :hysterical:

"Heels Up Harris" deserves all the disrespect she's earned. 

7 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Counter-counterpoint: Oh to live in your overly simplistic world and god I wish it were that easy. They used to say the same things 70 years ago and I will tell you what my father told me:

Kinda hard to get that HS diploma when your family is relying on you and your siblings to quit school and get a job to help support the family. Kinda hard not to have children when the religious institution you were brought up under, with the full support of your family, expects you to get married by 25 and pop out at least a couple of kids.

The point is you are pretty close to being correct however only if you remove societal & religious expectations within those poverty stricken communities.

I don't get your statement about high taxes though unless you mean the taxes on the middle class which I agree are high, however the wealthy and corporations are paying somewhere between zero and 8% in taxes due to loopholes and write-offs not available to the average Joe & Jane. That metric needs to flip. The middle class should get a tax reduction while the corporations and wealthy should have their loopholes and write-offs eliminated so they too pay their fair share.

Anyway, who knows. If things keep going as they are the Epsilon variant of COVID will wipe out the unvaccinated and then the Zeta variant will finish off the rest. I say its time humanity started over anyway, we have cocked up the world so badly we no longer deserve it.

9 minutes ago, BobDobbs said:

Counter-counterpoint: Oh to live in your overly simplistic world and god I wish it were that easy. They used to say the same things 70 years ago and I will tell you what my father told me:

Kinda hard to get that HS diploma when your family is relying on you and your siblings to quit school and get a job to help support the family. Kinda hard not to have children when the religious institution you were brought up under, with the full support of your family, expects you to get married by 25 and pop out at least a couple of kids.

The point is you are pretty close to being correct however only if you remove societal & religious expectations within those poverty stricken communities.

I don't get your statement about high taxes though unless you mean the taxes on the middle class which I agree are high, however the wealthy and corporations are paying somewhere between zero and 8% in taxes due to loopholes and write-offs not available to the average Joe & Jane. That metric needs to flip. The middle class should get a tax reduction while the corporations and wealthy should have their loopholes and write-offs eliminated so they too pay their fair share.

Other than some dire medical emergency, if a family is relying on their teenage children to quit school and get a job to help support the family I can guarantee you it's because of irresponsible choices. It does not negate that there does exist a clear path to "move up out of poverty". In other words, I'm tired of hearing high school drop outs with three kids out of wedlock and substance abuse issues insist they deserve to make $15.00 an hour.  

With regard to taxes, yes, I'm talking taxes on the middle class and taxation in general. The taxation issue is certainly not unique to the US. Until recently I had three vehicles, but I opted to sell one simply because the recurring taxes here on vehicle ownership are excessive. I resent the fact I had to essentially sell off a valuable asset solely on account of taxes.   

Save the liberal moral preaching.....

I grew up in a Catholic family - one of seven kids.  I had to work to help support the family since I was seven years old.  Hunting and trapping weren't hobbies - we did it to get food on the table along with the three gardens we tended during the summer.  Trapping to get money for school clothes and school supplies.  Never had a "summer vacation" or "Christmas vacation" - those were times to put in 8-10 hour work days!  Dad told us he would pay for our grade school and high school tuition and books - anything more WE had to earn and pay for ourselves.

Not only did ALL of us graduate high school, three of us went on to college and one of us earned a Masters.

So stop making excuses for the "hand out" members of our society - they need to get off their asses, get off the gubment free ride and work their way into being productive members of society!