Slate Chocolate Marble
Slate Chocolate Marble

Led Zeppelin Official Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

irondirigible

BEST LIVE VERSION OF NO QUARTER?

58 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, John M said:

It is a cloudy and rainy day so I went back and listened to all the LA 75 NQ again.  indeed 3-25 is fabulous !  The piano playing is especially stunning.  When people tell me that Wakeman and Emerson were better than Jones I have them listen to stuff like this.  Jones was so creative and not just about bombast and rapid flourishes.   When I listen to NQ from LA 75 I realize they are not just performing a song.  They are creating new music every night, live on the spot.  And that is different from just "jamming" the way alot of bands do.  What makes NQ so interesting and endlessly fascinating is the interplay among Jones, Bonham and Page.  you can hear them develop ideas in real time, playing off each other in new ways every night.

Yeah, for sure.  3/25 is definitely unique for how Jones teases just about all of the grooves from the past two months before finally settling on one, in addition to him switching back to the electric piano during Jimmy's solo.

Speaking of No Quarter, can anyone remind me which show has Plant introducing the song as "about a journey, a rather, dubious, journey."  They way he pauses and says "dubious" is hilarious.  As I recall that is a great version but I can't remember which show it was.  He was always saying it was about a journey, but this was the only time I heard his say "dubious journey".

3 hours ago, John M said:

Speaking of No Quarter, can anyone remind me which show has Plant introducing the song as "about a journey, a rather, dubious, journey."  They way he pauses and says "dubious" is hilarious.  As I recall that is a great version but I can't remember which show it was.  He was always saying it was about a journey, but this was the only time I heard his say "dubious journey".

Vancouver 1975-03-19.

On 8/12/2017 at 5:36 AM, duckman said:

For every mood there's a suitable No Quarter. But since I grew up with the May 24 version on the 1975 Earl's Court boot lp on LZ Europe followed by TSRTS a few months later, both these versions will stay my desert isle versions. 

You summed up my thoughts exactly, dm!

If anyone has the 06/22/77 boot to hand. Listen to NQ from just past the 12:00 mark. Bonzo/Page do a unique medley that I havn't heard before. I do wondered if they did do it like that at any other show too tbh, as I found it fantastic.

It's a bit Jerry Lee Lewis.

Just another magic jam taking a new turn.

10 hours ago, johnlennon696 said:

If anyone has the 06/22/77 boot to hand. Listen to NQ from just past the 12:00 mark. Bonzo/Page do a unique medley that I havn't heard before. I do wondered if they did do it like that at any other show too tbh, as I found it fantastic.

That June 22 "No Quarter" is awesome- very epic indeed. Too bad the sound quality on the circulating recording leaves much to be desired. If the sound quality of the June 22 recordings was on par with the 21st or 23rd the June 22 show would be spoken of in the same reverential tones as "Eddie" or "Badgeholders". But what the hell- Mike Millard couldn't tape every show, I suppose.