Adam Lambert sings WLL on American Idol

zep4ever

Anyone else catch his performance? (Yes, I admit that I watch American Idol LOL)

Pretty damn impressive and he hit all the notes.

Surprised because I didn't think the Zeppelin catalog was available for use by Idol.

Anyone else catch his performance? (Yes, I admit that I watch American Idol LOL)

Surprised because I didn't think the Zeppelin catalog was available for use by Idol.

I despise AI, but i happen to catch him while channel surfing. First time i've ever heard anyone on any of these "wannabe" shows do a Zep song. I too, always thought they were taboo. Anyways, he defo kicked my arse as did the backing band.

Yeah I saw that. I heard a few weeks back that he has been wanting to tackle a Led Zeppelin song so I was wondering what he wanted to sing. You're right it was damn impressive! The notes were almost spot on....

He's no Percy though! B)

How's it going "zep4ever?" I SAW IT! Is American Idol ROCKIN' tonight or what? Adam Lambert sings incredible. Then it just dawned on me, NO WONDER SLASH IS ON AMERICAN IDOL THIS WEEK! Isn't SLASH looking for a Lead Singer for VELVET REVOLVER? Wouldn't it be something if Adam Lambert was the new Lead Singer in SLASH'S band? What are your thoughts and opinions? Please enlighten me! ROCK ON!

I also saw Adam Lambert on American Idol tonight and thought he did an EXCELLENT job performing Whole Lotta Love! He sounded very close to Robert Plant at a number of points during the song. I was was so impressed, I recommend that he be very seriously considered as lead singer for a tour of the other band members if Robert Plant is unavailable. I would certainly pay to see the concert.

:D

Ok, this is what I've just posted in another thread.

I've never watched American Idol(we don't have it here) and also never followed Adam Lambert. His performance of WLL is now already on youtube, it's only audio and after two times listen, I got a strange impression that it's almost like how Sebastian Bach would have sung it.

No offence to him or Bach, that's just how I felt. :P

OMG!!!!!!!!! My worst nightmare has come true...Led Zep on American Idol!! LOL!!! How ironic that in some thread about 4-6 weeks ago, I was chatting with some people about this exact scenario, and feeling safe that it would never happen, that it would be too much like "When Worlds Collide". And yet...well, I guess worlds DID collide!! LOL!!! :D

that being said, I am surprised how many people liked Adam's performance tonight (as have posted both on here, and on the Adam Lambert thread in Ramble On). I thought it was as good as he could have done with it..not pitchy or anything/can hit the higher notes. but still left me a little meh.....but I know it because of listening through Plant biased ears, I'm sure. :)

I did like Adam's rocker look though, and LOVED the duet with Allison!! Thought the judges were WAYYY too harsh on Allison's solo performance..I thought she did great!

Sharon

Adam sounded great! I would love to hear him cover some other Zepp songs, too. Last season Michael Johns covered The Doors Light My Fire and it was cool! I'm glad we got a Zeppelin song this season!

OMG!!!!!!!!! My worst nightmare has come true...Led Zep on American Idol!! LOL!!! How ironic that in some thread about 4-6 weeks ago, I was chatting with some people about this exact scenario, and feeling safe that it would never happen, that it would be too much like "When Worlds Collide". And yet...well, I guess worlds DID collide!! LOL!!! :D

that being said, I am surprised how many people liked Adam's performance tonight (as have posted both on here, and on the Adam Lambert thread in Ramble On). I thought it was as good as he could have done with it..not pitchy or anything/can hit the higher notes. but still left me a little meh.....but I know it because of listening through Plant biased ears, I'm sure. :)

I did like Adam's rocker look though, and LOVED the duet with Allison!! Thought the judges were WAYYY too harsh on Allison's solo performance..I thought she did great!

Sharon

:hysterical: yeah, I remember! I couldn't wait to check out the board opinions tonight. All in all I think Adam fared quite well. Of course, I think most of us agree...it's hard to be in Plant's league but...he didn't make an idiot of himself anyway. He's been my choice since day one. I love Allison too. I wish the girl with the pink hair made the cut, she had a great voice too. I think she would have made the finals.

Ok, this is what I've just posted in another thread.

I've never watched American Idol(we don't have it here) and also never followed Adam Lambert. His performance of WLL is now already on youtube, it's only audio and after two times listen, I got a strange impression that it's almost like how Sebastian Bach would have sung it.

No offence to him or Bach, that's just how I felt. :P

:hysterical: gotta find and listen to it at some point now since you are saying so. In fact, regardless of anything, no one (but no one) can do this as You Know Who does it. Simple as that....

:hysterical: gotta find and listen to it at some point now since you are saying so. In fact, regardless of anything, no one (but no one) can do this as You Know Who does it. Simple as that....

Well, he did OK, but it was just OK for me. For a talent show it was very fine but I would never say he came close to, eh... You Know Who as you named him, :P as I said before, more closer to the 80th metal singers IMO.

He was performing, but not singing with his heart, how should I describe it? Soulless maybe. He could hit the high notes well but missed the sexual tension which is sooo important for a song like WLL.

Well, he did OK, but it was just OK for me. For a talent show it was very fine but I would never say he came close to, eh... You Know Who as you named him, :P as I said before, more closer to the 80th metal singers IMO.

He was performing, but not singing with his heart, how should I describe it? Soulless maybe. He could hit the high notes well but missed the sexual tension which is sooo important for a song like WLL.

Cool, an emotionless emo.

Nice paradox.

;):yesnod:

Some parts were really good. Others... not so much. I was surprised Simon liked it. I do like how he mentioned that it was one of the "greatest rock songs of all time". Love to see any sort of Zeppelin exposure on TV these days, especially a hugely popular show like American Idol.

Yes, I am surprised they got away with using the Led Zep song. Maybe they used it without permission? Where's Peter Grant when you need him?

P.S. That Adam guys sings every song the same -- always puts a Sebastion Bach-type scream somewhere in the songs. I think Simon wants him to win. I think that Gokely kid (David?) has more vocal talent, but he lacks a little flash.

Adam has a lot of flash ... not that this matters, but I don't think he prefers women ... not that there's nothing wrong with that. Maybe he and Clay Aiken could tour together?

I clicked the link because I don't watch AI. Fuckin' awful. He'd have been better off doing a Journey or Styx tune. Was Phil Collins drumming? I was getting a Live Aid flashback. I realize the main focus is on the "singer" but as a drummer I tend to notice when a drummer blows doing Zep.

:o I'm astounded .. are they really allowed to perform Zeppelin covers there? And where did all the sensuality of that song go? The singer did an okayish job I guess, but still this doesn't feel right at all.

:(

Archived