Best song ever live...

LedZep1969

No Quarter from TSRTS is a definite fave among many of us here. Jimmy!!!

As Long As I Have You from the Fillmore 69 is beyond description. Fucking insanely good!

TSRTS from LA 77 is nuts too! Bonzo is a mighty piledriving machine!

Edited by Evster2012

That performance was so good that it even shut my lil sis up, and trust me when i performance can stop my sis from talking it is a very good one :lol:

Seriously she can talk for 20 mins striaght about random shit bout her friends, sometimes i find it odd that we are related.

As Long As I Have You from the Fillmore 69 is beyond description. Fucking insanely good!

the" RAIN SONG" HIGHLY UNDERRATED from TSRTS.

the" RAIN SONG" HIGHLY UNDERRATED from TSRTS.

No argument there!!! Fantastic!!! I've loved it so dearly for so long! Hell, I learned that version in standard tuning when I was 13!! 29 years ago was it really? Where does the time go??? Still play it with my band today! :beer:

Edited by Evster2012

I guess I have two lists, songs that are very different live, and ones that are not that different but just sound amazing live (what doesnt)

Very different from studio versions

• No Quarter from various 75 shows (Im mixed between 2-12-75 Flying Circus, 3-5-75 Days Confused, and Earls Court)
  • Over the Hills - 2-12-75 Flying Circus
  • Dazed and Confused (with San Francisco)
  • How many more times - Royal Albert Hall or 10-10-69 Paris

Not too different from studio

• In My Time of Dying - Earls Court
  • SIBLY - TSRTS Remastered OST
  • The Ocean - TSRTS Remastered OST
  • ALS - Knebworth

EDIT: Also I think the Acoustic set is Zeppelin at its best (in a different way). Im partial to the HTWWW versions, except I think the Bron Yr Aur Stomp ( Earls Court from DVD) is better

But if I had to choose one, hands down, it would be No Quarter

Edited by EzyEric

Love the 1970 versions of How Many More Times and the 71/72 versions of WLL. Great medleys and some wonderful improvs.

Since I've Been Loving You 70/71

Heartbreaker 70-72

Dazed And Confused 71-73

No Quarter 73

WIAWSNB 70-72

Communication Breakdown up untill 72

I Can't Quit You Babe 70

The kicker for me though was Immigrant Song from 70-72. Thunderous way to open up a show. Stunning. As someone else on this site so eliquently put it, " It sounded like a heard of fucking elephants coming at you "

NO QUARTER.

It got better with every tour as far as I'm concerned. The LA 1977 versions are unbelievable.

(Knebworth 8/4/79 and Copenhagen 7/24/79 get honorable mention)

Yep. When I read the topic that's the first song that came to mind. The `77 versions of NQ are just gripping. Some of them bordering on the 40 minute fringe.

Epic jams. :notworthy:

Black Dog especially in 71 and 72, there weren't bad versions after that. Robert just couldn't hit the notes like he could in the earlier years for that song. But it was still amazing live.-Best version, I can't pick just one.

Dazed was mindblowing also. So many great versions. I can't pick a favorite here either.

Since I've Been Loving You is next. When Page is on like he really was from 70-73 this song was the best song of the show. Any 72 version is probably my favorite

The Rain Song was so beautiful live. They really put it in a great spot also usually playing it in between 2 heavy songs. Just listen to TSRTS version but again they didn't really do many bad versions of this song.

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, The entire band seemed to have fun with it and the crowd kind of seems to get involved with the beat part. It's just a fun song to listen to. You can't hate a song with an upright bass. Plus it usually had some of Jimmy's best acoustic work ever. And a few times you would hear the tune from Dancing Days and it was even played a couple of times in 77. 6-22 in LA is probably my fav.

Edited by NickZepp

In no particular order.. (except for #1)

Dazed and Confused << My favourite live song. Especially in '68 and '69 when Jimmy still used a Telecaster

How Many More Times

I Can't Quit You Baby

No Quarter

You Shook Me

Communication Breakdown

Whole Lotta Love

Immigrant Song

Since I've Been Loving You

Achilles Last Stand

Kashmir

Stairway to Heaven

Misty Mountain Hop

In My Time of Dying

White Summer

Bart: "It's like you're reading my mind man!" (I assume you mean 6/21 TSRTS)

I'll add:

Dazed from Texas Pop '69

ALS from 6/23/77

No Quarter, San Diego '75 (new boot=new fav, I know!)

GTBT medley, LA '70

Moby Dick, Osaka '71

No Quarter definitely. This is probably horrible to say, but I never fully appreciated the song until I heard the live versions. I love the live versions of BOE too.

Ditto!!!! 77' No Quarters are Killer! I like the Theramin treatment while Jonesy moves to the Grandpiano. I didn't realize it but they used that interlude in 75 also. Battle of evermore knocked my socks off also! Roberts vocal effects. I'm also a big fan of Achilles Last Stand 77' when it's performed well.

NO QUARTER.

It got better with every tour as far as I'm concerned. The LA 1977 versions are unbelievable.

Couldn't agree with you more. Especially the versions from the 21st and 23rd. The blues solo that Page does on the 23rd is mesmerizing. It's just phenomenal. He goes absolutely bonkers during that solo.

How could you ever pick the best??

I could pick the worst; Battle of Evermore-sorry John Paul -brave but painful.

Besides that song I have always observed that on a good night every song a band plays is the best song ever. They all seem so perfect in the moment which is really what matters.

For a performer sometimes a song may feel great in the moment but later listening doesn't fare so well. Other times songs that seems a struggle at the time sound fantastic in retrospect.

No Quarter - my fav. is 5/24/75 Earl's Court (my 4 year old stops and runs to his chair to try to play the piano/drum jam)

TSRTS - LA '77

As Long As I Have You - SF '69 (First 3 songs just smoke!)

I also really enjoyed them playing Sick Again. Just a great 2nd song with a frenzy solo/drums + bass jamming/Robert wailing Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that's right!

No Quarter - my fav. is 5/24/75 Earl's Court (my 4 year old stops and runs to his chair to try to play the piano/drum jam)

TSRTS - LA '77

As Long As I Have You - SF '69 (First 3 songs just smoke!)

I also really enjoyed them playing Sick Again. Just a great 2nd song with a frenzy solo/drums + bass jamming/Robert wailing Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that's right!

Great list! somebody else also mentioned 6-21 TSRTS! I have always felt the same way. What a drumming masterpiece! My daughters are 11,9, and 2.5 The older ones are appreciative of some of the stuff I play, like Elvis in some of his footage, and Led Zeppelin, but my youngest really gets into it! Esp. No Quarter/ Violin Bow/ Stairway. She also love Queen We will Rock You and Bohemian Rhapsody! Who wrote "As long as I have you"? That song kills me also. What date is the best version?

I do not know the name of the group that first wrote "As Long As I Have You", I have heard it said before, but do not recall it. The show is from April 27, 1969. I have other versions, but it is just so raw and Pagey's guitar is so powerful!!

Edited by Walter

NO QUARTER.

I think some of the 1975 versions are better, certainly a couple from Earls Court and I quite like the one on California Sunset.

Andy

I do not know the name of the group that first wrote "As Long As I Have You", I have heard it said before, but do not recall it. The show is from April 27, 1969. I have other versions, but it is just so raw and Pagey's guitar is so powerful!!

For me, the 4/24 and 4/27 performances of As Long as I Have You are the essence of early Zeppelin. Raw power. B)