Who would you choose to support Zeppelin?

andyc

That would be awesome-I saw Rush on their Snakes and Arrows tour. I think it would be cool, though, if they chose a few local bands (maybe one for each region?) to play with for concerts in that area. It'd give a huge boost to those bands plus bring new music to the forefront

Rush..? Why? IMHO they are, well, not worthy. Everyone has their opinions...haven't read the whole thread, but i think an opening act would be a total distraction...they didn't need one back in the day ('cept early on). And they didn't even 'need' one when they had one...how about NO ONE as the opener! except "the boys" -the alpha and the omega...

If they were to use a support act, I think Joe Bonamassa would be a great choice. He does a great version of "Tea For One" from his cd a couple of years ago. Don't remember the name of the release. It's available for legal download at the usual locales.

The cd its on is You and Me.There is a guest singer for that song cant remember his name but he does a good job with the vocals.I dont think Joe plays this song live,probly due to the fact that he cant sing the song well.I would love to hear P&P doing that song with joe trading liscks with Page.

The cd its on is You and Me.There is a guest singer for that song cant remember his name but he does a good job with the vocals.I dont think Joe plays this song live,probly due to the fact that he cant sing the song well.I would love to hear P&P doing that song with joe trading liscks with Page.

Actually for those of you who dont know him, Joe Bonamassa is a really, reallly good blues guitar player. My buddy at work has burned me (i think) everyone of his releases...including the live ones. He also does a respectable version of "Are you Experienced?" on one of his discs...I saw him open for BB King (the middle act was Kenny Wayne Sheppard) and was very dissappointed that he only got to play like, three songs...bummer...but local radio stations (ie classic rock, alt rock, whatever) WONT play him!!! Pisses me off, I know that...he's not my fave, but jeez, he is really good...

Back on topic though: If there is (big if) a tour, I still favor NO OPENER!!!

Actually for those of you who dont know him, Joe Bonamassa is a really, reallly good blues guitar player. My buddy at work has burned me (i think) everyone of his releases...including the live ones. He also does a respectable version of "Are you Experienced?" on one of his discs...I saw him open for BB King (the middle act was Kenny Wayne Sheppard) and was very dissappointed that he only got to play like, three songs...bummer...but local radio stations (ie classic rock, alt rock, whatever) WONT play him!!! Pisses me off, I know that...he's not my fave, but jeez, he is really good...

Back on topic though: If there is (big if) a tour, I still favor NO OPENER!!!

Ha. You're from STL? I'm working in STL. I'm a member of a radio station out here on the far left of the dial KDHX. They are a non commercial station, and have decent Rhythm and Blues in the afternoon. They play requests. I'm not familiar with Joe Bonamassa, but don't see why they wouldn't play it.

No one i worthy of opening for them they stand alone and thats how there future peformances should be if they do take place i could see an emerging group being broke as they were but other than that no one should be able to lead into and suffer in the shadow of greatness

Uh, sorry to break it to you, partner, but half of that bad has been dead for, like, 30 years or so...

At least someone's paying attention. I knew Pete Hamm had expired some time ago.I don't know about the rest of the band. I saw Badfinger in B'ham back in '72 or 73 when I was in the 7th grade.

The Carpenters. Oh, wait a minute.

Dear Mountain Hopper,

I have to answer you because I laughed my ass off when I saw your reply. And to all of you that suggested any other band on stage with the Lads you must give up your membership to this site and write repeatedly (I only need to see Zeppelin) until your writing hand drops off

Peace and Love in All Ways

Franco

No one i worthy of opening for them they stand alone and thats how there future peformances should be if they do take place I could see an emerging group being broke as they were but other than that no one should be able to lead into and suffer in the shadow of greatness

All things being equal they dont need a "warm up band" but most big time acts dont need one either.So why is there usually one? I dont have a problem with it. I do see it as a slot for an up and commer.I wouldnt mind seeing a new band open,as long as they are really good. hey its a big event make it an all day or all night deal.

I agree.

But, to give an answer, a hypothetical answer to this question, I would suggest:

Roy Harper

ooh nice idea! hats off to him!

out of the ideas i've seen so far my two favorites are The White Stripes and Tool. As much as i love the Foo Fighters i just don't think they fit for a Led Zeppelin opener. I think Pearl Jam wouldn't be that bad of an opener.

It would be cool if Tool did their No Quarter cover. The thing about Tool though is Led Zep has a lot of older fans who i think would be turned off by them. Though The White Stripes is a new band the older fans would appreciate it for being very blues oriented like Led Zep.

but maybe the most logical opener would be an old blues singer like Roy Harper.

i rather see foo fighters or godsmack as an opening act....but the problem is either the audience will get bored and/or they will not be remembered...did anyone really remember the opening act at o2??? people waiting almost 30 years to see the guys and any act would pale in comparison to them when they take the stage....while it's an honor to perform it would have too nerve racking to open for them

No. 1 - No opener needed!!! It's Zeppelin for goodness sake! Who wants to sit through an opener while waiting for Zeppelin... I've waited 30 plus years since I discovered them, once I've go the tickets (please God), and I'm in the seat.. I don't want to sit through a set of ANYONE!! What musician/group worth their salt in today's world would even want to open for them.. I don't think anyone in their right mind has the balls to do that..

But, If we are forced to have an opener, No Rolling Stones (Mick's ego? No thanks)

No Aerosmith - just doesn't fit right - I know they love Zeppelin, they do "Train Kept a rolling" and all but just doesn't fit right to me. Aerosmith is a headliner in their own right.

White Stripes, like them, but nope... Like the music, but Jack is kind of a freak.. maybe that's what makes him such a great musician..

I've got to go with Bad Company or Black Crowes; or

See No. 1 above.

I agree that they dont need an opening act, but i bet there would be an opening act these days, as the shows wouldnt be 3 hours like in the 70s.

Memorable opening acts for plant/page-plant shows for me....-rusted root and -cheap trick.

i would actually be a little pissed if there was an opener.

The openers at the o2 was one thing -- a bunch of musicians coming together to celebrate the life of a good man (ahmet). BUT if another Zeppelin reunion show happens, it wont be about a tribute to someone or anything like that --- it'll be all about Zeppelin. To say that another band should have the honour of opening up THIS type of show is borderline blasphemy!

Zeppelin needs no opener and never has needed one. It would make more sense and be MUCH more nostulgic without one.

I don't think that they need a support act, but if they use one, I think they should chose a new band, with similar sound and music, a band like Wolfmother.

Love Wolfmother, they have a great sound and would make a good support for Zep, if that had to happen.

Earl Greyhound, from Brooklyn, also have a Zeppelinesque sound, they rock. Check 'em out on youtube:

As far as guests, I would die happy to hear Chris Cornell and Robert Plant singing together. They are the best rock vocalists of all time, IMO.

Archived