Led Zeppelin Tour With Mostly New Songs

Everyone seems to want to see a Led Zep tour to hear what they would have played in '73 or '75. And over the last 20+ years we've been questioning Mr. Plant is his unwillingness to replicate what he was doing decades earlier.

I'm with the camp that supports Mr. Plant. I've never seen Zep live, but I have seen Plant solo, Plant/Page, and the old Zep cover band Physical Graffiti in the early '90's when I was in college (whatever happened to them?). It was all great, but just to experience what I missed in the '70s.

Anyway, my point is that for those of us older Zep fans, how many of us would even think of repeating something we did 5, 10, 15, or 30 years ago? For those of us in the corporate world, imaging doing the same job more than a few years?

I for one would rather hear a full concert of new Jimmy Page solo songs than a repeat of the 02 set list. "For Your Life" live made that show special as they've never played it before. When Mr. Plant says he would do it again for a "really, really, good reason," I think he means if they recorded something new and special. I've been attending U2 concerts for 20 years, and it's only to hear their new material each time.

Based on comments from Mr. Page, he seems to have the framework completed for something exciting. Let's hope Mr. Plant will give the new material a listen...

Everyone seems to want to see a Led Zep tour to hear what they would have played in '73 or '75. And over the last 20+ years we've been questioning Mr. Plant is his unwillingness to replicate what he was doing decades earlier.

I'm with the camp that supports Mr. Plant. I've never seen Zep live, but I have seen Plant solo, Plant/Page, and the old Zep cover band Physical Graffiti in the early '90's when I was in college (whatever happened to them?). It was all great, but just to experience what I missed in the '70s.

Anyway, my point is that for those of us older Zep fans, how many of us would even think of repeating something we did 5, 10, 15, or 30 years ago? For those of us in the corporate world, imaging doing the same job more than a few years?

I for one would rather hear a full concert of new Jimmy Page solo songs than a repeat of the 02 set list. "For Your Life" live made that show special as they've never played it before. When Mr. Plant says he would do it again for a "really, really, good reason," I think he means if they recorded something new and special. I've been attending U2 concerts for 20 years, and it's only to hear their new material each time.

Based on comments from Mr. Page, he seems to have the framework completed for something exciting. Let's hope Mr. Plant will give the new material a listen...

"YEAH'" I fully agree with you there .It is time for them to move on and produce something New .As for Robert; to try and sing songs to a level he did when he was twenty is too much.Jason deserves the chance to move in a new direction (instead of having to try and fill his fathers shoes) Jimmy as much as he loves to play the guitar riffs of old ;must have new ideas (Riffs are simply chords repeated over and over)john paul jones has an amazing 2 year old record in the pipeline with so much "musical depth" to offer. :D

well i, like many many others have NEVER seen them live, and frankly i would love to see them live doing ANYTHING! whatever they played would be just fine with me. more than fine...bloody awesome.

I'm with you sister.

Although I understand with what your saying, I for one would not want to hear anything new. To me, it seems that when bands come back and make a new album after a long hiatus, for the most part its no good. Especially with a band like Zeppelin, I don't think such a high expectation could be fulfilled, because it just would not be the same as the 70's. Not to say that I wouldn't be excited for a tour and to hear what it would sound like though! :D

Although I understand with what your saying, I for one would not want to hear anything new. To me, it seems that when bands come back and make a new album after a long hiatus, for the most part its no good. Especially with a band like Zeppelin, I don't think such a high expectation could be fulfilled, because it just would not be the same as the 70's. Not to say that I wouldn't be excited for a tour and to hear what it would sound like though! :D

Can you remember when the 1ST time you heard say ;NO QUARTER or OVER THE HILLS AND FAR AWAY ?yes thats right ;the 1st time .If you were like every over Led Zeppelin fan you would have put the tape/ vinyl recording on low volume' listen to the 1st track then the 2nd and so on until the whole album had been played !. Then you would have thought "Arrr " i think i like the 2nd song and turned the volume up a bit and played some more until "it grew /grows on you"and the next thing "you know" the volume is at full position ;and your 'dear old mum' is screaming at you to "turn it down" That is what it was like being a ZEPPELIN fan. Its all about !!!!!Waiting in anticipation as to what is coming at you with the next record . Any thing NEW has to "grow on you"and when it does then and only then will it become a L-Z classic.

If they've got new material in the can, I would love to hear it. I do want to hear the songs that I love and that made them my favorite band though. The classics. The songs that made them miles ahead of everybody else.

I'd love to hear a mix of their hits, some deeper album cuts (rarely or never played live; perhaps in a medley) and some new tracks (from a new CD).

18 to 22 or so songs in a set list: (consisting of)

12 classic hits

3 or 4 new tracks

3 or 4 rare/ never played deep album cuts

+ Encores (classic hits)

I think that would be a good balance (or recipe, so to speak), so everyone would have something new, something proven, something classic, something rare and most importantly, something true to who the band is (yesterday and today) to experience each night (including the audience and band members).

Changing/ Mixing up the Set List a good bit would be cool, too!!!

They would sell out every show and with each night's set list varying, every night would be an event!!! (they need to professionally film/HD tape each date) and release a tour DVD boxed set (at some point with the best moments), perhaps as a farewell package, called, "The Motherload".

R B)

i would love anything they played, but i think a mix of old and new would be best. i think it would be important as a frame of reference - hearing what a song like "What is and What Should Never Be" (my favorite haha) sounds like when they play it now in their more mature ages would help everyone interpret and understand better any new material they put out.

If there was new music, I'd love to hear it. I'd really like to hear some never played or rarely played existing Zep tunes, like

Out on the Tiles

Carouselambra (yeah, I know nobody else likes it, but I do)

Candy Store Rock

The Wanton Song

The Rover

But there would have to be some famous classics too!

no, no no... look at the who, and the stones, they both put out new music most every year, but what everyone wants to hear is the old classic stuff. new stuff, fine. but play the old, even if it's in a new way.

I agree with some of what you have said, like when bands come back, for the most part their new stuff is just no good. But we are talking about the greatest rock band of all time here. I would want them to do their old stuff, which I could never get of, as well as see what great new classic songs they have come up with. We are not talking about your average band, we are talking about LED ZEPPELIN!!!!

If they tour they need to do it with the old stuff. I am dead set against a new album. They dibanded for a reason and if they did new material that would totally make their disbandment pointless. I"m not against aa reunion tour, so they can get a last goodbye and new fans can see them. Do I think that more than a reunion tour is a good thing? No, I don't because that would defeat the point.

Although I understand with what your saying, I for one would not want to hear anything new. To me, it seems that when bands come back and make a new album after a long hiatus, for the most part its no good.

If they can't do any new material worthy of the old, they should hang it up. I hate oldies acts that can't gather the courage to try recording new material. Zep should not be about playing it safe.

Page/Plant and Page/Crowes have teetered close enough to being an oldies act as it is. It's time to make new material, even if it's just one album for posterity rather than an open-ended commitment.

well i, like many many others have NEVER seen them live, and frankly i would love to see them live doing ANYTHING! whatever they played would be just fine with me. more than fine...bloody awesome.

I'm with you sister.

Amen!

Old + New + kick ass covers and medleys. Whatever move's em!

~snip~

I for one would rather hear a full concert of new Jimmy Page solo songs than a repeat of the 02 set list.

~snip~

honestly, i would pay to watch jimmy page throw oatmeal against the wall, but that's just me.

all new songs? i can't see it, but i think it would be within themselves to go out with more than a few mixed in with some old...

it's a fact that we (and the band) know they could take the O2 show on a short 25-50 date tour and sell out everything and be the best live show out there. the chances for a letdown against their legacy would be next to nil.

take some chances? i'd go see that....

Archived