First Soundboard you Heard ?

John M

What was the first soundboard recording you heard?  What did you think?  (I am not counting the various copies of the BBC sessions I had. )

I had searched for this topic and did not find it.

I think the first one I heard back in the 80s was Trentham Gardens January 15, 1973.  I awaited that tape with great anticipation.  My initial reaction was the recording started a bit rough as the levels were evened out.  Once it settled in it was quite a treat.  The drums made the biggest impression on me.  I had always found the drums on most audience tapes to be lacking wallop and definition.  Definite highlights of the show for me were Over the Hills (I don't recall noticing Plant's vocal struggles at the time), Dancing Days (that one really packs a wallop!), and Bron-Y-Aur Stomp.  Perhaps these songs made the biggest impression because they were not included in TSRTS original soundtrack or movie, or the BBC, so I had never heard any official type release of them.  This was back in 1989 after all.  Misty Mtn was also in that category but I don't recall it make making as big an impression.  

I would be interested in hearing about what your first soundboard was and what you thought.

The first true soundboard I heard was on the Final Touch / Last Stand CDs of the 7/7/80 show. I found them, along with the rest of the Toasted / Condor silvers, at a small record shop when they were first released. I knew they were boots but didn't know much about the '80 tour. Picked that show because it was Zep's last with Bonzo. I didn't love the sound quality, and am still not a fan of the '80 soundboards, but was very happy to hear the show given it's sentimental value and the killer version of Whole Lotta Love.

Edited by SteveZ98

Probably "Destroyer".  4 LP set. Can't remember the label.  I thought it was awful. It had gaps in the songs and the playing was less than good. The sound however was quite good in relation to the (Audience) Montreal Forum "World Tour 75 LP set and the " Cellarful of noise" Japan LP I had. Not a patch on "Earls Court"  and "No Quarter" (Red devil) audience LP's which were (are) just great. Forgive me if I'm wrong but was Kashmir seriously bad from Destroyer? I recall them being hopelessly fucking the song in some part and Plant had to ad lib to fill in the mistakes. I got it in the early 80's

Me too, their last show ever was my first encounter with the SB phenomenon and my first CD set ever (in 1990!!!)..."Bonzo at  Last" (On Seagull).

Since I had very little experience with audio fidelity on CD's, I thought it was quite OK. Obviously sourced from a cassette, but I was desperate to hear all those post TSRTS tracks live. I was not disappointed. The second SB  by the way was the April 27,  Fillmore W...That excited me even more, since it was the first time I heard a strange song Howard Mylett mentioned in his little paperback back in the seventies; "As Long As I Have You". Destroyer, Dallas 75 and Osaka 71 followed a few weeks later.  

2 minutes ago, duckman said:

Me too, their last show ever was my first encounter with the SB phenomenon and my first CD set ever (in 1990!!!)..."Bonzo at  Last" (On Seagull).

Since I had very little experience with audio fidelity on CD's, I thought it was quite OK. Obviously sourced from a cassette, but I was desperate to hear all those post TSRTS tracks live. I was not disappointed. The second SB  by the way was the April 27,  Fillmore W...That excited me even more, since it was the first time I heard a strange song Howard Mylett mentioned in his little paperback back in the seventies; "As Long As I Have You". Destroyer, Dallas 75 and Osaka 71 followed a few weeks later.  

Pretty sure 27/04/69 Fillmore is not a SBD, it's far too wet a recording be a soundboard. The recording was made with overhead stage mics, the reason why Plant's vocal sounds a little distant.

My First soundboard was from Frankfurt 80. I got it on a cd named Platinum. My second Soundboard was a 3 record set from Wendy covering three shows from the 80 tour.   Brussels, Bremen and Frankfurt. Still Love that package, It's a nice collectors item. Sound was very good on all of them.

45 minutes ago, JTM said:

Pretty sure 27/04/69 Fillmore is not a SBD, it's far too wet a recording be a soundboard. The recording was made with overhead stage mics, the reason why Plant's vocal sounds a little distant.

It isn't a SBD. I always thought Bill Graham recorded it? 

1 hour ago, JTM said:

Correctemundo JTM, thanks for putting the record straight🤭. These were of course not plain Jane SB's, but Bill Graham's recordings. Probably to be plugged on KSAN radio. Percy's recording levels are perfect for 4/27, but they were off during 4/24

Edited by duckman

First soundboard I heard was April 27, 1977 Cleveland when I bought the Destroyer vinyl box in late-summer 1977.

Not very impressed. Compared to the sound on my "Going to California" (Berkeley '71) and "Stairway to Heaven" (BBC Paris Theatre '71) vinyl bootlegs, I thought the Destroyer sounded weird...unnatural. The performance left me unimpressed, as well. I preferred listening to my cassette of June 23, '77 that I traded for.

I had better luck with my second soundboard acquisition...the March 4, 1975 Dallas soundboard on vinyl. That sounded killer. That had some balls and muscle....like a real Led Zeppelin show had.

Edited by Strider

13 minutes ago, Strider said:

First soundboard I heard was April 27, 1977 Cleveland when I bought the Destroyer vinyl box in late-summer 1977.

Not very impressed. Compared to the sound on my "Going to California" (Berkeley '71) and "Stairway to Heaven" (BBC Paris Theatre '71) vinyl bootlegs, I thought the Destroyer sounded weird...unnatural. The performance left me unimpressed, as well. I preferred listening to my cassette of June 23, '77 that I traded for.

I had better luck with my second soundboard acquisition...the March 4, 1975 Dallas soundboard on vinyl. That sounded killer. That had some balls and muscle....like a real Led Zeppelin show had.

Did those Cleveland LP's have a weird noise on it - and I don't mean the "Noise Solo" a bit like white noise? I may be wrong because it was a long time ago.

7 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

Did those Cleveland LP's have a weird noise on it - and I don't mean the "Noise Solo" a bit like white noise? I may be wrong because it was a long time ago.

I don't remember any weird noise as such...other than Jonesey's clinky Alembic bass. But after a few listens I put it away and never played it again. It eventually got lost or stolen and I have yet to replace it. I have the show on cd, of course...EVSD's Maximum or Ultimate Destroyer. 

I may be taking a stab in the dark but I think it was Dallas 73, as retriever mentioned Fractured Ribs. I had - still have - Luis Rey's book as a guide; he generally described many soundboards as 'raw' and this one he called 'Zeppelin stripped to the bone.' So true! But lift the low ends way up on the EQ and you can give it some kick.

Generally the boards will put en extra spotlight on Bonzo's drumming. In some cases it's fascinating to be able dig into his brilliance!

9 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Probably "Destroyer".  4 LP set. Can't remember the label.  I thought it was awful. It had gaps in the songs and the playing was less than good. The sound however was quite good in relation to the (Audience) Montreal Forum "World Tour 75 LP set and the " Cellarful of noise" Japan LP I had. Not a patch on "Earls Court"  and "No Quarter" (Red devil) audience LP's which were (are) just great. Forgive me if I'm wrong but was Kashmir seriously bad from Destroyer? I recall them being hopelessly fucking the song in some part and Plant had to ad lib to fill in the mistakes. I got it in the early 80's

Kashmir was performed very well at that show. No mess-ups and a solid rendition overall. In fact, I've always thought the whole show is very solid. It's not Page's best night ever, but certainly not his worst... and pretty much every song is performed really well. The Year of LZ blog even marks this one as a "Must Hear" and he didn't give those out willy-nilly.

5 hours ago, Strider said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that "The Destroyer" which is the audience recording from the following night, was the one released in 1977... and the "Destroyer" soundboard box set was released in the early '80s.

I can see though how the sound may have come off as weird compared to the other bootlegs of the era. Their earlier sound was more straightforward and those first boots captured the ambiance pretty well. Interestingly, when I first heard the 1971 BBC show (from the 1997 official release), I didn't like it at all and thought it was very artificial sounding. Almost like they were playing with rented equipment compared to the mighty Zeppelin sound. I've recently heard a vinyl rip from the original 1972 bootleg, and it seems to have a more natural sound overall (The "BBC Broadcast" version with Communication Breakdown... not "Stairway To Heaven").

I'd love to hear a vinyl rip of the Destroyer box set to compare it with the Winston remaster, which is the one I own, and the only version of this show I've heard. To my ears, it's the best sounding soundboard to come from the 1977 tour. It doesn't sound muddy or flat at all, and the twangy-sounding bass isn't near as bad as other shows. But maybe that was all Winston's handywork...

7 hours ago, goldenretreiver157 said:

Fractured Ribs was my first!

Amazing! Same here - One of only 2 silvers I actually have got from years ago (decades probably). I found it in a good old record store in Sydney (Red Eye Records, I think) before I moved to Bris-vegas.

Berlin 7-7-80 was the first soundboard I heard, taped from a friend, and the first live Zeppelin I heard outside of the "Song Remains The Same" soundtrack, back in the mid eighties thereabouts. They almost sounded like two completely different bands...😆